Active vs Passive Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hi-psi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I understand it, with the Z55 option you have active/adaptive suspension (electronically controlled shocks front/rear) and then auto load leveling airshocks on the rear.

Whenever you're ready to replace/refresh your suspension your options are...

1. Keep all factory style function
2. Switch to passive shocks, retain auto load leveling (rear)
3. Switch to passive shocks, go with manual air shocks (rear)
4. Switch to passive (standard/old school) shocks front & rear.

Ok, so all that said... I know there are many out there who have went with option 2, and reported that they were happy with the way it rode & handled.

But, most were probably comparing worn out factory parts that needed replacing to new aftermarket parts. Not exactly a fair comparison.

What I'm wondering is if there's anyone out there with actual experience of how a fresh/new completely OEM-style setup (active suspension) compares to a new passive system from a ride quality and handling perspective?

I know that either option would be an improvement over my worn out high mileage OEM stuff, I'm just debating on if there's a measurable difference in the performance and ride quality of new OEM-style as opposed to passive aftermarket that may make the cost difference worth spending.

I did a bit of searching, and although there's tons of discussion regarding the suspension refresh/replacement options available, I wasn't able to find anyone speaking directly on a comparison of ride quality & performance of new active vs new passive setups.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu