AC line fitting stripped

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

temper

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Trying to repair the rear AC in my 2001 Tahoe, and thought I might as well replace the orifice tube in the front while I had the system empty. Big mistake. As I was loosening the fitting, it became hard to turn as I was getting to the last couple of threads. I worked it back and forth, thinking maybe it was rusted a bit and eventually got it loose. Now the threads on the male side of the fitting are stripped pretty bad.

I thought maybe if I could get it past the stripped part it would thread the rest of the way when I went to put it back together, but the threads won't catch. I got a thread repair kit from Autozone, but the fitting is too big so the only thing I could try from that kit was the thread file which was no help.

Any suggestions, aside from just driving with the windows down, before I finally give up on this truck? I should have known this was going to turn into a nightmare. Every job I've done on this thing has.

Tahoe_AC_line1.jpeg Tahoe_AC_line2.jpeg

1badc4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I probably have that line section on the 2001 suburban I am parting out. the air was good.

Last edited:

1badc4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trying to repair the rear AC in my 2001 Tahoe, and thought I might as well replace the orifice tube in the front while I had the system empty. Big mistake. As I was loosening the fitting, it became hard to turn as I was getting to the last couple of threads. I worked it back and forth, thinking maybe it was rusted a bit and eventually got it loose. Now the threads on the male side of the fitting are stripped pretty bad.

I thought maybe if I could get it past the stripped part it would thread the rest of the way when I went to put it back together, but the threads won't catch. I got a thread repair kit from Autozone, but the fitting is too big so the only thing I could try from that kit was the thread file which was no help.

Any suggestions, aside from just driving with the windows down, before I finally give up on this truck? I should have known this was going to turn into a nightmare. Every job I've done on this thing has.

View attachment 228493 View attachment 228494
IMG_20190730_202811.jpg IMG_20190730_202839.jpg IMG_20190730_202847.jpg

OP
OP
temper

temper

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks. I searched online before I made the thread and couldn't find anyone who sold AC lines. Then I looked again and realized I needed to look under "hoses". Going to get a new line from Autozone tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons