Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danrondeau

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Need help getting AC COLDER.

2007 Tahoe 5.3l, 140k. AC blows 75-80deg F and 60-65deg F on recirc. Brand new Denso OEM compressor, low PSI 45-50/ high psi 225-250, installed cabin air filter kit. The recirc door moves perfect and the Hot/Cold controls seem to be working correctly and evenly on both side. All AC parts/accessories are very clean with no dirt or buildup on them

any ideas?
Thank you!

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
I never bothered to check air temps, but my wifes Buick was not as cold as it should be.
Everything looked great, so on a whim i decided to toss a 1/2 lb into the system.

There was an improvement noticed, so i added the other 1/2lb until i was happy with it...
If you add to much the compressor will begin to cycle on and off with a nice click, the same is true if there is not enough.

Other places to check would be the condenser in front of the radiator
It could be plugged with crap.
if it can't remove the heat, then it won't cool very well either.

And on my 09 hoe, the entire system with rear ac only holds 2.5lbs of refrigerant.
My system has a new compressor and drier, and it's nice and cold with it being 100f outside.

If you didn't do the drier with the compressor, then you need to go back and replace it.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

2007 Tahoe 5.3l, 140k. AC blows 75-80deg F and 60-65deg F on recirc. Brand new Denso OEM compressor, low PSI 45-50/ high psi 225-250, installed cabin air filter kit. The recirc door moves perfect and the Hot/Cold controls seem to be working correctly and evenly on both side. All AC parts/accessories are very clean with no dirt or buildup on them

any ideas?
Thank you!
you need a tech2 or similar capable tool to monitor the system and see what the actual temp is showing versus what is commanded. could be a temp sensor, could be the actuator or something else.

OP
OP
D

danrondeau

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Whats the ambient temp? I have had better results with closer to 60psi on the low side but, its typically 90*+ when I hook up gauges.
I live in Phoenix so it’s current like 105-110 outside. That being said, I have a thermometer placed in the grill to get a reading and it’s only 75-80. It’ll get slightly cooler with recirculate. My Tahoe used to get VERY cold! I might try putting a new dryer and condenser on it but I really don’t think that’s it. I might have better results with a blend door actuator or something… I dunno

OP
OP
D

danrondeau

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
you need a tech2 or similar capable tool to monitor the system and see what the actual temp is showing versus what is commanded. could be a temp sensor, could be the actuator or something else.
I threw a thermometer in the air vents to get my readings. I really don’t think my dryer or condenser is bad but I might try new ones just to rule it out. I have a feeling it’s a blend door actuator or something else electrical

OP
OP
D

danrondeau

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I never bothered to check air temps, but my wifes Buick was not as cold as it should be.
Everything looked great, so on a whim i decided to toss a 1/2 lb into the system.

There was an improvement noticed, so i added the other 1/2lb until i was happy with it...
If you add to much the compressor will begin to cycle on and off with a nice click, the same is true if there is not enough.

Other places to check would be the condenser in front of the radiator
It could be plugged with crap.
if it can't remove the heat, then it won't cool very well either.

And on my 09 hoe, the entire system with rear ac only holds 2.5lbs of refrigerant.
My system has a new compressor and drier, and it's nice and cold with it being 100f outside.

If you didn't do the drier with the compressor, then you need to go back and replace it.
I didn’t do a dryer when I replaced it and now I’m kickin myself. However, we pulled vacuum on it to purge the system so I’m pretty sure it’s good. I live it Phoenix so a cold AC system is important to us

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I threw a thermometer in the air vents to get my readings. I really don’t think my dryer or condenser is bad but I might try new ones just to rule it out. I have a feeling it’s a blend door actuator or something else electrical
that is not the test I am referring to, the test I mean is to connect a tech2 and see what temperature the system is commanding -versus- what it thinks it is getting-versus-actual temp. so if you set it to 60deg, and it is commanding something else it is a problem, if it is commanding 60deg and shows it is getting 70deg but is really only making 85 it is another problem, etc. there are sensors in the headliner, if one of those sensors is reading incorrectly that could be a problem, if the actuator is goofy that could be a problem.
if all that is good and it just isn't getting cold period then you have another problem.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
I didn’t do a dryer when I replaced it and now I’m kickin myself. However, we pulled vacuum on it to purge the system so I’m pretty sure it’s good. I live it Phoenix so a cold AC system is important to us

Rule i always followed, if you open the system for more than 10min, the drier needs to be replaced.
:happy160:

If it has been in the system for more than a year, then replace it anyways.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score

any ideas?
Thank you!
When you added refrigerant to the system after the work was performed, did you do it by weight? If not, then there is no way to know if you have enough in the system because the pressures won't tell you much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak

Latest posts