About to purchase a 2018 Yukon SLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

llauck

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello! We are in the process of selling our 2017 GMC Acadia and replacing it with a 2018 Yukon. We really liked our Acadia but it has had nothing but electrical issues in the last year, and the warranty runs out this fall and we would like to get something a little larger anyway since we've downgraded to having just the one vehicle and I no longer have my truck.

We found a great deal on a 2018 Yukon SLT with 24,000 miles on it and it has all of the options our Acadia has and that my wife wants to keep. Should there be anything we need to look out for? I had a 2015 Sierra with the same 5.3L engine and that truck was pretty bulletproof while I owned it.

As pointed out, the transmission is the issue I would investigate. My nephew has as 2017 Yukon and it is having shaking issues. I own a 2018 Yukon, but no issues yet.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
The price you're paying for aftercare, warranty or service contract has to be considered, like GTNator said. If you walk away with the purchase on faith, you'll get one of two things; a great truck with no major issues and the usual maint we've come to expect or a little, possibly, a lot of regret. When I go into a deal I always have the equivalent of a back up piece. We've got three kids in school and a frick'g crazy schedule. I'm capable of wrenching all my own repairs, but don't have the Alaska Summer with 24 hours of daylight. I'm selfish and give all my time to friends, relatives and family.

I sold 90% of all my tools but kept the knowledge base. I support my Indy tech like he's family as he's 150% vested in growing his buss with his sons. He's damn good at near anything mechanical and exceeds my abilities. If Carvana let's you stack the deck on a maint plan, do it. GM won't sell you a GMPP because it was a rental. My 2019 burb LT with 6200 miles pee'd oil all over our paver driveway. It was prolly the engine main seal. Fortunately I could return it because it was a rental.

If you use the car vending machine, pls take pictures!

Last edited:

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most rental companies are diligent with maintence schedules, but do it in house so it wont show up on car fax.

I picked up an LT Burb 18 brand new for just a few grand more than what your looking at at Classic in grapevine, and they had another a few days ago. Mine only has 2 options - captains and nav, but its really all I need as kids dont watch videos any more (but they love the wifi). Only option I had to add were some fogs.

The 6 speed on this rig is sweeeet. Compared to my custom tuned avy 6 speed, its smooth as butter. I think I just enjoy not feeling shifts again. I would be very wary of the 8; the feedback here seems to be negative. Best bet with carvana is to take their trade in value, and have dealer match...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

daryl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I personally wouldn't buy a former rental. Think about the last time you drive one.... when it's not yours, you don't care. Before acquiring my company car, I spent about 5 years in rentals. So many times I'd get in one and find that the oil change was overdue. It's a business for them - service cost money and results in downed rental times. The lack of service records (through car fax) is likely a direct result of it being a rental. Whoever the rental company dealt with for service likeLay doesn't participate with, or report to carfax.
I'd keep looking. We found our current '17 XL at a GMC dealer as a CPO with 11k. It was originally sold by them, serviced by them, and taken in on trade by them.
One thing to look out for is the super annoying transmission vibration while at a stop light, or any time you're stopped while it's in D (drive). Apparently something to do with the torque converter. My bet is that's why the previous owner traded this one in.
Good luck with your search.

mck024

Reaction score
I personally wouldn't buy a former rental. Think about the last time you drive one.... when it's not yours, you don't care. Before acquiring my company car, I spent about 5 years in rentals. So many times I'd get in one and find that the oil change was overdue. It's a business for them - service cost money and results in downed rental times. The lack of service records (through car fax) is likely a direct result of it being a rental. Whoever the rental company dealt with for service likeLay doesn't participate with, or report to carfax.
I'd keep looking. We found our current '17 XL at a GMC dealer as a CPO with 11k. It was originally sold by them, serviced by them, and taken in on trade by them.
One thing to look out for is the super annoying transmission vibration while at a stop light, or any time you're stopped while it's in D (drive). Apparently something to do with the torque converter. My bet is that's why the previous owner traded this one in.
Good luck with your search.

I have purchased four former rental vehicles in the last couple of years. A 16 Suburban LT and 16 Corolla (personal vehicles), and a 16 F-150 and 17 Jeep GC Laredo (company vehicles). All of them had 20-30k miles on the odo. Knock on wood, all have performed very well with no major maintenance issues. The Ford and Jeep have over 70k now. The Burban has almost 60k and has been a great road trip vehicle for us. No buffeting, ac condenser, or other common issues.

I guess this shows ymmv

jimr5454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello! We are in the process of selling our 2017 GMC Acadia and replacing it with a 2018 Yukon. We really liked our Acadia but it has had nothing but electrical issues in the last year, and the warranty runs out this fall and we would like to get something a little larger anyway since we've downgraded to having just the one vehicle and I no longer have my truck.

We found a great deal on a 2018 Yukon SLT with 24,000 miles on it and it has all of the options our Acadia has and that my wife wants to keep. Should there be anything we need to look out for? I had a 2015 Sierra with the same 5.3L engine and that truck was pretty bulletproof while I owned it.
Did ypu biy the yukon slt .if so any issues im torn netween 16 slt or the 16 denali ...

jimr5454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did ypu biy the 18 yukon slt .if so any issues im torn netween 16 slt or the 16 denali

jimr5454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And what extended service plan if any did you get?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645