About to purchase a 2018 Yukon SLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukoninTexas

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello! We are in the process of selling our 2017 GMC Acadia and replacing it with a 2018 Yukon. We really liked our Acadia but it has had nothing but electrical issues in the last year, and the warranty runs out this fall and we would like to get something a little larger anyway since we've downgraded to having just the one vehicle and I no longer have my truck.

We found a great deal on a 2018 Yukon SLT with 24,000 miles on it and it has all of the options our Acadia has and that my wife wants to keep. Should there be anything we need to look out for? I had a 2015 Sierra with the same 5.3L engine and that truck was pretty bulletproof while I owned it.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just look through 5 or more pages right here in this section and you will get all your answers.

Make sure you get ALL service records and [if you can] have a good independent mechanic check it out on the rack just to be 100% sure. Only deal with a GMC-Chevrolet dealer. Make sure you test drive the Yukon out on the highway [at 75 mph or higher] to check out any possible vibrations.

With that said I have a 2016 5.3 Tahoe [63K miles] and so far [knock on wood] just plain old regular service.

OP
OP
Y

YukoninTexas

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This Yukon is from Carvana and unfortunately the Carfax doesn’t have any of the service records listed. It was a rental in its previous life. The price on it is a good $5k below NADA and my credit union has no issue at all with loan to value due to this.

Normally I wouldn’t look at a prior rental but in the used car market it’s kind of hard to avoid that. This being a full size SUV I wouldn’t think it would have been driven hard or abused. If it was a sports car for sure I wouldn’t even be looking at it.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This Yukon is from Carvana and unfortunately the Carfax doesn’t have any of the service records listed. It was a rental in its previous life. The price on it is a good $5k below NADA and my credit union has no issue at all with loan to value due to this.

Normally I wouldn’t look at a prior rental but in the used car market it’s kind of hard to avoid that. This being a full size SUV I wouldn’t think it would have been driven hard or abused. If it was a sports car for sure I wouldn’t even be looking at it.

I would ask Carvana to try to see who serviced the Yukon and check in at that facility to see how often it was serviced and exactly what oil they were putting in it. That is just me.

With that said I have [and family members] have bought rental vehicles in the past and no complaints with any of them. On those vehicles Carfax showed there were serviced every 5K miles. We all got the extended warranty so we could sleep better at night.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello! We are in the process of selling our 2017 GMC Acadia and replacing it with a 2018 Yukon. We really liked our Acadia but it has had nothing but electrical issues in the last year, and the warranty runs out this fall and we would like to get something a little larger anyway since we've downgraded to having just the one vehicle and I no longer have my truck.

We found a great deal on a 2018 Yukon SLT with 24,000 miles on it and it has all of the options our Acadia has and that my wife wants to keep. Should there be anything we need to look out for? I had a 2015 Sierra with the same 5.3L engine and that truck was pretty bulletproof while I owned it.

It’s too bad there isn’t a sticky on this gens (or any gens) known issues to look out for.

Google Chevy Tahoe vibration and you’ll find all the info you want on the vibration and booming issues.

My suggestion is to drive it thoroughly before buying. The good ones are good (and most are good) but the bad ones are bad.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/is-your-gm-vehicle-making-you-sick/

Akinshake

Reaction score
I’m not sure when they fixed the issue of the ac condensers going out, but that was one big problem they had. The vibrations/buffeting I’d say would be the number one thing to check like Miami-Dade said. And the leds in the taillights and headlights. Make sure they all work and have no glitches. Little things would be the headphones and remote if it has a DVD player and the Manual. Those aren’t really important, just kinda tells you a little more about the car sometimes. Oh and make sure the ac seats work. I heard that might be an issue sometimes.

OP
OP
Y

YukoninTexas

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you! I’m hoping it will be like the 2015 Sierra we had in that it was very reliable.

The cooled seats and heated rear seats are something the Acadia doesn’t have so that will be a bonus feature.

Unfortunately Carvana doesn’t have the previous service records but it was a prior rental so I would assume the rental company would have taken very good care of the vehicle prior. It only has 24k miles on it.

We plan on taking a 3600 mile road trip next week and we are considering taking the Yukon. Just not sure what impact if any we’d have taking a cross country trip with temp tags.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you! I’m hoping it will be like the 2015 Sierra we had in that it was very reliable.

The cooled seats and heated rear seats are something the Acadia doesn’t have so that will be a bonus feature.

Unfortunately Carvana doesn’t have the previous service records but it was a prior rental so I would assume the rental company would have taken very good care of the vehicle prior. It only has 24k miles on it.

We plan on taking a 3600 mile road trip next week and we are considering taking the Yukon. Just not sure what impact if any we’d have taking a cross country trip with temp tags.

Go for it! Just buy an extended warranty and you’ll be fine. Temporary tags across states are fine as long as you keep all the purchase paperwork and proof of insurance with you. Good luck and have fun with you’re new ride on that long trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Y

YukoninTexas

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The price we would be paying before taxes and fees is $42,600. Is this a good price? It has the Open Road package with the sunroof and rear seat entertainment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MCDizz

Latest posts