A/C High Side Port

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thauber

Reaction score
Hey guys, quick question. Is there any reason to NOT change out the ever problematic rubber stopper style port on the high side of our trucks with a schrader valve style port (one that is meant for the high side of a system)?

Just making sure I won't be making myself a different problem by doing so.

Dorman makes one for the high side, part #800-955, with the schrader valve, and seriously thinking of making the change if no one has had any issues with doing that.

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, quick question. Is there any reason to NOT change out the ever problematic rubber stopper style port on the high side of our trucks with a schrader valve style port (one that is meant for the high side of a system)?

Just making sure I won't be making myself a different problem by doing so.

Dorman makes one for the high side, part #800-955, with the schrader valve, and seriously thinking of making the change if no one has had any issues with doing that.
Mine has a Schroeder valve on both high and low side- are you sure yours doesn’t? Under the rubber plug but more recessed than the low side?

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what you are looking at OP but your truck/suv should have that dorman part already installed on the high side line. Obviously it would be a AC delco part but will look identical to the dorman part and there is already a schrader valve installed in yours. It sits deeper down in the port than the low side does which is normal. There should also be plastic caps on both the low and high side unless someone has lost them. Usually just getting a valve core tool and tightening the cores does the trick. Its usually the low side that gets loose from people attaching hose and gauge set to it and rotating the core loose which causes a leak.

OP
OP
T

Thauber

Reaction score
Mine has a Schroeder valve on both high and low side- are you sure yours doesn’t? Under the rubber plug but more recessed than the low side?

Not sure what you are looking at OP but your truck/suv should have that dorman part already installed on the high side line. Obviously it would be a AC delco part but will look identical to the dorman part and there is already a schrader valve installed in yours. It sits deeper down in the port than the low side does which is normal. There should also be plastic caps on both the low and high side unless someone has lost them. Usually just getting a valve core tool and tightening the cores does the trick. Its usually the low side that gets loose from people attaching hose and gauge set to it and rotating the core loose which causes a leak.

Hey guys, this is what is on my 2004, it is the OEM high side valve/port. Not sure if/when they stopped using this style, but I know it is on my '04 Yukon XL, was on my '03 Yukon XL and '01 Tahoe Z71, '01 Camaro, and '00 Regal GS. All had this rubber stopper style. I have replaced them before, with more of the OEM style. Are you saying there is a serviceable schrader valve beneath the rubber that can be replaced without removing the entire valve port? That would be news to me. :) Or has everyone else just already had theirs changed to the schrader style (knowingly or unknowingly) and I am late to the party?

HighSideValve.jpg

That little bit of green around the lower rim (where the bottom of the red dust cap would be when it is on - obviously off for pic) is leak dye. It doesn't leak until running, so 200ish psi, why I didn't find a leak when I had my gauges on it, or afterwards when shutting it down and making sure pressures stayed stable. What a wonderful surprise to smell it the next time I went for a drive...

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, this is what is on my 2004, it is the OEM high side valve/port. Not sure if/when they stopped using this style, but I know it is on my '04 Yukon XL, was on my '03 Yukon XL and '01 Tahoe Z71, '01 Camaro, and '00 Regal GS. All had this rubber stopper style. I have replaced them before, with more of the OEM style. Are you saying there is a serviceable schrader valve beneath the rubber that can be replaced without removing the entire valve port? That would be news to me. :) Or has everyone else just already had theirs changed to the schrader style (knowingly or unknowingly) and I am late to the party?

View attachment 231779

That little bit of green around the lower rim (where the bottom of the red dust cap would be when it is on - obviously off for pic) is leak dye. It doesn't leak until running, so 200ish psi, why I didn't find a leak when I had my gauges on it, or afterwards when shutting it down and making sure pressures stayed stable. What a wonderful surprise to smell it the next time I went for a drive...
I replaced the whole valve port or whatever it's called because that's how they send the new part, but yes there is a Schrader valve in it. Turn it upside down and look from underneath. You can see it in the pictures on Rock Auto or other online sources. I'm not sure why there is also a rubber thing on the high side but that's not the primary seal, the Schrader valve is.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1251964&cc=1420546&jsn=946

OP
OP
T

Thauber

Reaction score
I replaced the whole valve port or whatever it's called because that's how they send the new part, but yes there is a Schrader valve in it. Turn it upside down and look from underneath. You can see it in the pictures on Rock Auto or other online sources. I'm not sure why there is also a rubber thing on the high side but that's not the primary seal, the Schrader valve is.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1251964&cc=1420546&jsn=946

Yes, that is an aftermarket style using the schrader valve, not the OEM valve style, also sold at Rockauto. I'm 99.999999% sure that OEM is an entirely different style, often referred to as a rubber ball valve. I could be wrong, but the bottom side of the OEM style looks nothing like the bottom of a schrader valve.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=84526&cc=1425349&jsn=426

But I'm guessing if most everyone has changed over (knowingly or unknowingly), then perhaps I'll change styles and see how it goes. I'll share pics of the OEM style underside vs schrader valve style once I make the swap. It's just I'm used to using OEM as a default, but if the schrader style is an upgrade (as in much easier to a stop future leak and no problem with the system), then I'm all for it. But if anyone has had an issue, PLEASE holler before I make the change!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine had a Schrader valve when I replaced it so maybe it had already been changed, IDK. The low side was leaking so while it was evacuated I just went ahead and replaced both. 3 years and no problem if that helps.

OP
OP
T

Thauber

Reaction score
Had time today to make the change over for the A/C high side service port, and got those pics. Since this has been viewed several hundred times and no one said they had any adverse side effects for those that had the schrader style, I went for it.

Top side, left is the OEM "rubber ball" or "poppet" valve, heard it referred to as both, right is of course the schrader style.

Ports1.jpg

Bottom side, can see how very different the types of valves are, with OEM using a plunger to keep the rubber pushed upwards to maintain seal, installed from the underside. I attempted to remove it, but that wasn't happening with all those retainers holding nice and tight.

Ports2.jpg

Anyway, it is changed. Pretty sure GM still uses the rubber type for the high side even on the vehicles they are making today, so it makes me wonder why the engineers feel the need to use them instead of traditional schrader valves. Here's to hoping I haven't done my a/c system a "dis"service... that was horrible... I'll stop now

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had time today to make the change over for the A/C high side service port, and got those pics. Since this has been viewed several hundred times and no one said they had any adverse side effects for those that had the schrader style, I went for it.

Top side, left is the OEM "rubber ball" or "poppet" valve, heard it referred to as both, right is of course the schrader style.

View attachment 231946

Bottom side, can see how very different the types of valves are, with OEM using a plunger to keep the rubber pushed upwards to maintain seal, installed from the underside. I attempted to remove it, but that wasn't happening with all those retainers holding nice and tight.

View attachment 231947

Anyway, it is changed. Pretty sure GM still uses the rubber type for the high side even on the vehicles they are making today, so it makes me wonder why the engineers feel the need to use them instead of traditional schrader valves. Here's to hoping I haven't done my a/c system a "dis"service... that was horrible... I'll stop now
Are you sure that’s not a schrader valve with an extra rubber seal? Anyway Im pretty sure you’re good.

OP
OP
T

Thauber

Reaction score
Are you sure that’s not a schrader valve with an extra rubber seal?

100%

It is clear in the pictures that a schrader valve would not fit (inner diameters are different, as well as no threads).

But I dug it out of the trash, pulled the rubber out with a pick, and took a picture of the plunger that keeps the rubber in place. Definitely a different style valve, and non-serviceable (only replaceable).

OEMPort.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan