A/C help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robhenry2990

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having an odd problem. I went to charge my ac yesterday as its getting rather hot here in Pittsburgh and it wouldnt take the charge. I notice the compressor wasnt engaging. So i hooked my power probe up and turned it on just fine. So i checked the power at the switch and it seemed fine(getting power while turned on and i got the green light). I thought i read some where that there are a couple switches in the ac system but i dont know where they are or how to reset them. The ac hasnt worked since i bought the truck a year ago.

purple 'hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having an odd problem. I went to charge my ac yesterday as its getting rather hot here in Pittsburgh and it wouldnt take the charge. I notice the compressor wasnt engaging. So i hooked my power probe up and turned it on just fine. So i checked the power at the switch and it seemed fine(getting power while turned on and i got the green light). I thought i read some where that there are a couple switches in the ac system but i dont know where they are or how to reset them. The ac hasnt worked since i bought the truck a year ago.

Are you using that 134-A crap in a can? What's your A/C Pressure at the lines? You will have high and low pressure.

Also, are you sure you don't have a A/C system leak? Have your system dye'd and see where it's leaking from. If it's not taking a charge, it's something either pressure is messed up or you have a large leak.

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It wont take any from the can and yes its the can shit cause its like 40 bucks compaired to 120

40 compared to 120 for what?
What year is your truck?
I assume it uses 134a if 95 or newer.
May be your low side cycle switch is not working.....until it sees over 27 psi it won't let the compressor turn on.
Just hooking up the can to the system and opening valve to let freon in you should have system pressure of about 80-90 psi depending on ambient temp. Of course as soon as it kicks on the pressure will drop to zero and it will kick off again :emotions122:
That's why you turn the first can upside down to let it in as liquid......don't worry it evaporates super fast into a gas, but this way it keeps the psi high enough to keep the switch happy.

_Dylan_

STAY FROSTY
Reaction score
go to harbor freight and buy a $10 pressure gauge before you start dumping that stuff into it

OP
OP
robhenry2990

robhenry2990

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the kit i bought has a gauge on it. and 120 to take it to a shop and have them do a charge. ill try that in the morning

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeSexingStick