A/C Condenser replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
DWTahoe

DWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, here's an update so far on the AC condenser. I was able to replace the unit this weekend but I haven't had it checked for leaks again or filled yet to see if it worked.

Here's a couple things for others if you want to do this yourself and avoid 5 hours shop time for them to remove the front grill and bumper to install it.
- I did not have to remove the front bumper, grill, or the cross member above the radiator/AC condenser.
- It would have been easier if I could have removed the cross member, however, you may be able to get the 6 screws holding it in place underneath it out, but, getting them installed back in is almost impossible in my opinion.
- After you remove the air box and all the screws holding the radiator, you can tip it back far enough to get the condenser out from in front of it. I didn't have to remove any hoses from the radiator
- If you pay attention to how everything was in before and keep track of where things come off and are patient with all the tabs (to keep from breaking them off) you can do it in a couple of hours.

If you have any specific questions I'm happy to answer what i can.

Another thing I never really read specifically so I wanted to clarify for others that may come across this looking for info. The AC condenser and the transmission cooler are 1 unit. I'd say the top 1/3 of the unit is the tranny cooler and the bottom 2/3 seem to be all AC cooler/condenser. The transmission lines at the top on both sides are held in with a little tiny c-clip type spring. Getting them back on is a pain....save your clips from the old one if possible. They seem to go flying and are easily lost in the engine bay.

Hopefully this helps. Thanks.

Dooba

Reaction score
Don’t mean to bump an old thread, but I recently found out about this.

I read that 2017+ GM models switched from R134a to R1234yf, so maybe that had an effect? Not sure what year your Tahoe is.

They appear to have similar properties, but further research shows the AC setup is somewhat different e.g. connector types, metallurgy with refrigerant requires different seals and materials.

So theoretically, if they tried to retrofit the existing system to support R1234yf, and incorrectly designed it for so, it may be the reason why this is happening.

They also introduced an inline heat exchanger, which may be the cause of these leaks I keep reading about.

I personally do not have an issue on my truck - knock on wood. Its a 2016 Yukon running on R134a. Though, ME specific models are equipped with different, larger, condensers iirc.

Note: There are no plans to remove R134a from what I’ve read. Its just R1234yf has a significantly lower global warming potential.

ERS2015

Reaction score
Condenser on my 2015 w/89k miles is now garbage also. It worked fine last summer, but went to use it this summer and no luck. Now I get to swap it out, I won't pay the stealership to do what looks to be a fairy simple job.

Thanks fit the tips guys!

BADRIDES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the condenser from Auto Zone. Much much better welds and a better condenser. My dealership buys them from the Zone.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Condenser on my 2015 w/89k miles is now garbage also. It worked fine last summer, but went to use it this summer and no luck. Now I get to swap it out, I won't pay the stealership to do what looks to be a fairy simple job.

Thanks fit the tips guys!
Paid for mine to be replaced at the dealership with 93k miles BEFORE I knew it was covered for extra years and mileage. Called GM when I learned about it, and they covered over half the charges since my miles were over. It’s a free call, give it a try.

RobH

Reaction score
Well, here's an update so far on the AC condenser. I was able to replace the unit this weekend but I haven't had it checked for leaks again or filled yet to see if it worked.

Here's a couple things for others if you want to do this yourself and avoid 5 hours shop time for them to remove the front grill and bumper to install it...

My experience going back almost sixty years is that the dealership mechanics are aware of the shortcuts and take them and still charge for doing the full factory procedure. And don't care if they break some things while doing the shortcut.

So, if you have the tools and experience, do it yourself.

Keith Turcotte

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had to do my 2015 Tahoe LTZ condenser last year; broken at the manifold inlet of hot gas return to the condenser; took me two weeks to find. Not fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tim crow

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is there anything that can be done to prevent this from happening in the first place?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Run4st