99 Yukon Steering gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stu

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm thinking of replacing the steering gear (has been adjusted) due to center play, with a new steering gear. Anyone have any recommendations on brand??
thanks,
Stu

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See this post- then reply with questions or progress on your fix.

OP
OP
S

stu

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I guess some personal info might have helped. I am a 30 year Mercedes-Benz mechanic working with a friend of mine who
owns a 4x4 shop and he has about 35 years. We have completely refreshed the steering linkage, it's all new. The box has
100,000 and we have carefully adjusted it best possible. I never drove the Yukon when it was new, bought it at 55,000 and
it now has 100,000 and I don't like the small amount of free play. I assume the new steering gear will not have any freeplay
am I wrong??

From what I can find, there are NO new GM steering gear available for this 99 Yukon.

Stu

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Check out RA and see the two choices of new steering gears. I think they were LARES and EDELMAN. It is a toss up at this point with no GM available. Maybe other members can chime in with their opinions.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As was mentioned in Post #2- Blue top has the highest satisfaction, Red head and Lares next, GM after that. Many here also got used boxes from upullit with good results.
One thing to look into is to increase caster to the max limit, about 3.5 by the book, but many old car manuals had it to 5 max . On some of these trucks 2 is hard to get without adjustable bushings.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Sometimes if the caster is too much you get a "caster shimmy". Ran a shop that we specialized in alignments and have seen this happen.

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That truck probably has the solenoid on the PS pump for variable effort steering.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As this has been happening a long time, I don't believe new Pittmann Arm shafts with gear were ever available. If they were rebuilders would use them. Thats why it is hit and miss on good rebuilds, How good are the cores?

OP
OP
S

stu

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the input folks. Appreciate it.
I'll post after I decide and install.

Stu

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeronightwolf

Latest posts