99 tahoe water pump replacment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rick_Grff

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a few questions about replacing my water pump.
When watching the pully tensioner with the motor running should it move when giving it a little gas. Cause it swings about an inch in movement with the belt? I removed the belt and noticed the power steering pulley has movement pushing and pulling on it about 1/8" to 1/4" slop in it. Last question the fan clutch is hard to spin when it's cold shouldn't it spin freely when cold. Thanks

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
The pump should generally not be able to move in and out like that. It may be causing the belt to jump grooves a bit and therefore the tensioner movement. Typically when cold the clutch will be stiff, but will loosen up upon rotation from the engine until the unit get hot then it locks up again. When it is cold this is just the fluid inside settling in place. A good way to test clutch at cold start up is upon start on a cold morning rev the engine. A bit and the fan should howl. In about a minute or so the fan clutch will loosen and the fan will spin down. If you don't overheat at the same time because the fan gets stronger as the engine gets hotter your clutch should be good. Replace it if you find it leaking any fluid tho.

OP
OP
R

Rick_Grff

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you Bigfootchiro for your reply. I got the new pump on and torqued down. Now I'm putting the drivebelt tensioner on and my manual says to torque the mounting bolt to 81 lbs. That can't be right? Also my idler pulley would that be the same torque value? I can't find it in my book.

4myfreedom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tensioner assy to engine bracket 37 ft lbs. same fore idler pulley.
Let engine run for about 2 minutes then go back and tighten idler. I did not do this once and it costed a fortune to find out what it was

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk