98 Yukon 4x4 squeaky on cold start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olliec420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 98 is doing great. Only issue (well besides the minor ignorable ones) is it has recently started squeaking on startup. See video. Anyone know what that is?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What @Hoesgottaeat2 said. Take the belt off and start. Bet the noise is gone. Spin the mentioned pulleys and see if they are smooth and no play, like they should be. If there is any roughness or play, replace them. But, the noise is not constant, so that leads me to a bad spot on the belt, glazed, that makes the noise every time it gets to a certain spot on whatever pulley makes it sound off.

ZEUS1

Reaction score
my Wifes's 99 has the same problem, i have changed every pulley and the tensioner twice, and the alternator recently, and still have the squeak. It is annoying at idle but you can't hear it if your windows are up going down the road. It does go away once everything is warmed up. i am sure something will fail then i will really know what it is.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
my Wifes's 99 has the same problem, i have changed every pulley and the tensioner twice, and the alternator recently, and still have the squeak. It is annoying at idle but you can't hear it if your windows are up going down the road. It does go away once everything is warmed up. i am sure something will fail then i will really know what it is.
It is very rare but I have ran across where a seal will have a squeak noise till heat builds in it. I have found noises at the rear main seal and the harmonic balancer seal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n