97 Tahoe whistling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark97

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi!
New forum member here. I hope this is in the right spot.

1997 Tahoe LT 5.7 gas vortec engine.
Last night it just started a really high pitched whistling.
All the time at idle.
When I accelerate, it goes away.
If I'm cruising, it whistles.
It only stops when I accelerate.
No noticeable difference in idle or performance at any speed.

It seems to be loudest on the passenger side of the engine compartment. Other than that, I got nothing.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mark

GreyStone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi!
New forum member here. I hope this is in the right spot.

1997 Tahoe LT 5.7 gas vortec engine.
Last night it just started a really high pitched whistling.
All the time at idle.
When I accelerate, it goes away.
If I'm cruising, it whistles.
It only stops when I accelerate.
No noticeable difference in idle or performance at any speed.

It seems to be loudest on the passenger side of the engine compartment. Other than that, I got nothing.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mark
check the pcv valve

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon. Sounds like a vacuum leak but that loud of a leak should cause a running problem. May be a squealing belt, check that. Does it make a difference whether it is in gear when accel or not? An inexpensive mechanic's stethoscope would pin it down quick.

We recommend that you put all your rig(s) info in your signature so we all don’t have to guess at year, make, model, engine size, trans, rear axle locker…….etc. While you may have posted pertinent info in your first post, you may forget to do it again and the info is needed by us anyway. Makes it way easier on all members that attempt to help, to have that info right up front. It is also recommended that you take a pic of your RPO codes, on the inside cover of the glove box, and post that image in your signature. All this info will greatly help those that will try to help with a problem.

If there is any other info, like upgrades, mods or recent mechanical/maintenance work done, that would be helpful in any post as well. Too many times a question is asked by the poster and after about 10 responses we find out that the poster has done recent work to attempt to fix the problem or work that was done that SEEMS not related to the problem.

OP
OP
M

Mark97

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The only time the whistle goes away is when I accelerate. No other difference in performance or behavior.

Took off the pcv valve. Cleaned it up. It still rattled freely. Put it back on.

I still have the whistle.

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heater control valve solonoid?
Does the AC on or off make a difference?

Gonna have to narrow it down some.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Heater control valve solonoid?
Does the AC on or off make a difference?

Gonna have to narrow it down some.

He said the noise was on the passenger side so this could be it. Do the heater and a/c controls work and do the blend doors all move to correct position?

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's not a lot of vacuum on the passenger side.

Air intake housing and engine breather are all else I can think might whistle on that side.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It whistles because it doesn’t know the words.....

If it goes away when you accelerate.... well you know what to do then....

seriously now, look under passenger side dash, should be some vacuum lines for hvac controls... make sure everything is pushed together... pretty sure that year stil had the clear connector with all diff colored vacuum lines going to it, no?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodlife_chevy