95 Tahoe 2 door engine swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sergio88sw

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello,
I am going to buy a 95 Tahoe 2 door and I would like to swap the engine for a newer model, Vortec or LS. Have any of you done it? How complicated it is to fit engine, tranny, driveshaft from a newer model?
Thanks for the help.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fitment probably wont be much of a hassle. if you do a vortec swap the block and such will be the same so it will bolt up probably exactly how you pulled the old engine out. block being the same said roughly im sure they made more changes than just tossing heads and a mpfi intake on it. however i believe the mounts are all the same. doing a 5.3 im not overly sure however im sure its been done plenty of times and with some digging you can probably find a company that makes engine mount swaps but you may have to look for it as a 1500 pickup.

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being they had one with the 6.5, you should be able to fit any ls. (Maybe minus the 8.1)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Squirrelsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no reason to put a vortec in it's a piece of junk too. Do the ls you need motor mount adapters, headers, a wiring harness, you need some way to get the correct psi fuel pressure. I don't know the detail but that's the general idea

GMW468

Reaction score
If you're swapping a TBI motor for a Vortec, that should be a piece of cake. They're both small block Chevy's and other than computer differences, everything else should be direct. I can swap small block Chevy's in a day.

There are some people who have swapped LS motors into these trucks. I actually have a 6.0 LS and a 4L80E on a pallet in my shed that I'm going to install into my 94 Silverado once my kids are done driving it. My daughter will be going away to college next year and then my son will get it. He's 2 years behind her in age and once he graduates HS and moves on to college or the military, I'll have nothing but time to do the swap.

I've done some research and there may be complications with the computers but swapping LS motors into Musclecars is a big craze these days so if you can swap one into a 50 year old car, I'm certain one can be swapped into our trucks. Worst case scenario is you swap out the fuel injection intake for a carb intake and run a carb or a throttle body based FI system like the Holley Sniper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oscarrgv