5.3 to 6.0 2009 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thedog52

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Probably beating a dead horse here, but I keep reading conflicting info. Is a Gen 4 6.0 literally a direct drop in as far as the electronics? I spoke with Black Bear and they said tuning wise it wouldn't be an issue. I literally want to just drop the thing in, hook it all up, and go. If I end up doing this, I'll change the cam and lifters, but keep everything else stock. My goal is to find a complete pull out from a vehicle that way I know everything that I need is there. Has anyone done this and kept notes on what is required?

Vehicle is an 09 Tahoe Z71. I have 140k on it. Trans is going strong, but I am aware it will probably give me fits after I put a 6.0 in.

I'm also considering keeping my 5.3, it is a great motor that has never gave me an issue. I know it'll be a lil cheaper to keep the 5.3 and just upgrade it, but man I really want the grunt of the 6.0 not to mention it is much more capable because of the displacement.

Please give me your experience, and if you've actually done the swap point me in the right direction. Thanks guys.

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably beating a dead horse here, but I keep reading conflicting info. Is a Gen 4 6.0 literally a direct drop in as far as the electronics? I spoke with Black Bear and they said tuning wise it wouldn't be an issue. I literally want to just drop the thing in, hook it all up, and go. If I end up doing this, I'll change the cam and lifters, but keep everything else stock. My goal is to find a complete pull out from a vehicle that way I know everything that I need is there. Has anyone done this and kept notes on what is required?

Vehicle is an 09 Tahoe Z71. I have 140k on it. Trans is going strong, but I am aware it will probably give me fits after I put a 6.0 in.

I'm also considering keeping my 5.3, it is a great motor that has never gave me an issue. I know it'll be a lil cheaper to keep the 5.3 and just upgrade it, but man I really want the grunt of the 6.0 not to mention it is much more capable because of the displacement.

Please give me your experience, and if you've actually done the swap point me in the right direction. Thanks guys.

****Im an idiot, I made the title wrong. You know I mean 5.3 to 6.0
You can change the title. At the top is a button that says thread tools.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879