4l65e 04 yukon denali tranny

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bloto88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 04 yukon Denali and I am planning on performing quite alot of performance upgrades on the motor. If I'm not mistaken stock is 325hp and about 360lb tq. I'm under the impression that the tranny that comes in this truck is the 4l65e which has a max tq rating of 380lb tq. This is only 20 greater then factory. After only afew bolt ons I'm worried that I'm going to surpass this capability and greatly reduce the life if my trans. That's said I am near louisville and wondering if anyone knows any good shops that can do a level 2 upgrade for the transmission and/or if anyone has ever had this work done, what kind of costs I'm looking at??
Correct me if any of my info is wrong as well.
I'm planning, all said and done to have; CAI, supermaxx headers, high flow MagnaFlow cats/exhaust system, mild cams, port and polish and tuned. I am hoping to be able to put down 400 hp out of this motor N/A 6.0l but would rather go preventative and upgrade Trans if recommended then blowing it up because IF I can pull 400 hp out of this motor I'm sure my lb tq will be well over 400 as well putting my stock 4l65e in a bad place.

Any input or personal experience is greatly appreciated!

OP
OP
B

Bloto88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No responses? Has anyone ever tried to beef up the older denali?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why are you posting in the 1991-1999 section if your question is about a 2004? And of course many have done everything imaginable to the 2000-2006 Denalis. Try doing some searching and reading instead of just asking a question that's been discussed over and over. In the wrong section of the forum, no less. I see you're new so I'm trying to be nice! Also, you might consider waiting a day or two for responses before complaining that no one answers.

OP
OP
B

Bloto88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wasn't really complaining more just disbelief that no one had any input to offer and I hardly see how your "trying to be nice". I did realize this was in the wrong area shortly after sending reply and re-posted to the correct section sorry about that oversight and thank you.

As far as doing some research, that is exactly what I did to uncover what I do already know about this truck and transmission, however my research has ended with little actual experience from others that have done mods to this specific set-up hence my question on a forum dedicated to these kinds of trucks.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disbelief that in 5 hours there was no input? Really? BTW, your tranny is a 4l60e; you should have an RPO code inside your glovebox that reads M32 that will confirm this. I'll check out your post in the correct section, which would be 2000-2006 / Performance. Engine and Drivetrain is generally for repairing/ troubleshooting/maintaining, not what you're talking about. If you head over to the performance section, you can read all kinds of info on building these motors and the trouble with the trannys and front differentials on the Denali's when you do. Good luck, welcome to the forum and sorry if I was a bit ******* you. Remember, these forums have a wealth of information but if you expect to come in and start expecting others to do all the work for you, it won't work well. If you really HAD searched here, you would have already found all the info you need. It's here, believe me. If you had asked a NEW question, in the CORRECT place, there would be answers to your post. Possibly not in 5 hours though.

OP
OP
B

Bloto88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I appreciate the information on the transmission, I may have been abit impatient on the response side of things in retrospect.. It would seem that I have now posted to the wrong section again then and need to either re-post and/or reform my question... I was under the impression that the 6.0l models after 2001 where fitted with the 4l65e to handle the increased hp/tq. Was the 65 only added into the xl/suburban models?
I did alot of my research through other sites and came across afew forums here that kinda breached the subject of the transmissions but more around slipping/ repairs vrs how much it can actually handle and what kind of upgrades would help it get to handling the higher power... I know they can after coming across stage2-5 65e for sale just not entirely sure what those upgrades to the trans entail... is also how I came under the impression of the 4l65e being in the 6.0l models...
I dont want to end up in a performance shop locally not knowing what I'm talking about as far as transmissions go and was hoping maybe someone with the knowledge could just shed some light. I know quite abit about engines but very little about transmissions.