3rd Row Seat Modifications?? Can they fold out of the way?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nolahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
As a long time lurker and user of information on this forum I want to thank everybody for the amazing info and write ups.

I'm currently daydreaming about modifying the third row seating on my 2002 Tahoe LT somehow to fold it out of the way, or even building a new thinner seat to take its place. I very rarely use the third row and would like to use the full length of the back for hauling stuff but I don't have any storage for the seats other than in the vehicle. Also, when I do need them it's usually spur of the moment everybody pile in.

Has anybody seen a modification like this? Or maybe sideways bench seating? Any info would be helpful.

Thanks!

tlang

Reaction score
Sounds like quite a bit of fab to me. I have never seen anything, but I would be very curios to see if anyone has.

MrBalll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that sounds like a lot of work.
Might could just get some fold out seats from a junkyard 90s model GM truck, take out the plastic covers in the back fender walls(will not look nice so you may look into that) and just put the folding part of the seat just above the rear wheel. Then, depending on your state, you will have to modify your seat belts, which I figure may be illegal but I don't know.
Or just fab a swing arm and place it into the seats original hold down points. Then they can swing off to the sides and you will have slightly more room length wise. And if you take out those rear plastic covers you can swing them further up against the walls of the truck and have more storage room in the middle.

Either way it will be a lot of work on your part and probably not worth it in the end. May just have to throw away some stuff in your house to make room for the seats.
*Or go buy a smaller storage box with a lock and just put the seats in there.*

OP
OP
nolahoe

nolahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah I figured it would be a ton of work. Just curious if anyone had found a solution.
As for storing, it could be possible, but I live on the fourth floor of a building and definitely don't want to haul those up and down the stairs.

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine fold up against the 2nd row and gets out of the way for the most part, not sure if tahoes do as well. Ultimately I just took mine out because I really never use it and would rather have the cargo room.

MrBalll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine fold up against the 2nd row and gets out of the way for the most part, not sure if tahoes do as well. Ultimately I just took mine out because I really never use it and would rather have the cargo room.

Yeah, my Tahoe folds up against the second row seats as well. Guessing he just wants all the room he can get back there.

OP
OP
nolahoe

nolahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah, mine fold up the same way. I was hoping to have them fold to the side somehow so I can benefit from the entire length when the second row is down.

jcevans7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is off the issue. Anyone know a mod for the rear seats. They just stay in my garage all the time. I want to put some 2x4 together to make a bench out of them but I can't get them to unfold. Is anyone done this?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

gtptyler

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is off the issue. Anyone know a mod for the rear seats. They just stay in my garage all the time. I want to put some 2x4 together to make a bench out of them but I can't get them to unfold. Is anyone done this?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

You have to trick the seats into thinking they are in the car. I have done it before but dont remember exactly how but you have to move a part in the front hinge and it will be hard to push but can be done

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz