Adding a third row to your 07-14 GMT-900

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tiki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some Tahoes, Suburbans, and Yukons did not come equipped with a factory third row seat. I just so happen to own a 2007 Z71 Tahoe that fits this description. While I rarely ever have the need to use a third row, it does come in handy when company is in town. so I did some researching on the old interwebz to see what options I had. I cam across several half helpful posts regarding this situation and thought I would document my findings.

Yes, you can add a third row seat. There are threaded holes in every vehicle and the ones that were ordered with no third row simply have plastic plugs where the seat brackets would go. There also was some discussion regarding if the earlier GMT-800 (00-06) vehicles with barn doors not being able to accommodate a third row. Yes, even barn door vehicles can fit a third row. There are several examples on YouTube and various web forums that have documented they do in fact fit.

Below is the process of adding a third row on a GMT-900 (2007-2014) vehicle. It is fairly straight forward and something that a novice should be able to complete in a couple of hours. The same instructions apply for the previous GMT-800 (2000-2006) vehicles as well.

After finding some rare 2007 Z71 seats (black with silver inserts) on a web forum, I picked up the required brackets and go to work.

Tools:
Ratchet
50 Torx
18 MM socket
Utility Knife/Shears

Parts:
2000-2014 third row seat brackets and bolts (they are all the same) I picked mine up of EBay for $100 (outrageous price tbh).
A set seats from a local TYF member (score)

1) Remove the cargo tie down straps. These are 50 Torx
image.jpg1_zpsc8rexgew.jpg

2) Remove the back trim piece. It pulls straight off.

image.jpg2_zpssbknoqy2.jpg

3) Fold back the carpet and insulation. What your looking for is the 14 little plugs on the floor board. If you have these your good to go.
image.jpg3_zpsfem7xy1i.jpg

4) Remove the plugs with a flat blade screw driver. Once all the plugs have been removed make sure that the floor is scrapped clean so your brackets can sit flush on the floor.
image.jpg4_zpslw3b2cga.jpg
image.jpg5_zpsvhs5dvf0.jpg

5) You'll be left with a pile of junk, you will not be reusing it.
image.jpg6_zpsixzmtwak.jpg

6) Next step is installing the seat brackets. You'll need a 18mm socket and ratchet. Power/Air tools just make it go faster.
image.jpg9_zpsj3uutceb.jpg

7) Before moving forward make sure your seats fit and everything is lined up.

image.jpg10_zpsbqnzoit4.jpg

8) Now it's time for trimming. The insulation is stringy so make sure you are using a sharp knife/shear. You need to cut out the insulation that would sit above the brackets. Fold the insulation down over the brackets. You'll be able to feel the brackets and trim around them. Make sure you trim around the bolt heads and the "valley" as the seat brackets actually are recessed into the floor and won't really fit without it.
image.jpg11_zpsyg6jzafa.jpg
image.jpg14_zpssye4gboo.jpg

9) Insulation trimmed. You'll see in my picture that I did not trim around he bolts. To make sure your carpet lays flat make sure your bolts don't have insulation on top of them.
image.jpg12_zpsc21wjgyj.jpg

10) Now the fun part, cutting the carpet. Fold the carpet over the brackets just like you did for the insulation. You'll be able to feel the brackets under the carpet don't worry. Tuck the carpet back under the trim pieces and reinstall the cargo tie downs. There are a couple of ways to cut them but we chose to cut the rear strikers in an x pattern. One cut straight down the middle of the striker and another down the valley in each direction. These turned out pretty good.
image.jpg15_zpsnmaxsyyq.jpg
image.jpg17_zpshdnthyma.jpg

11) The big brackets are a little more tricky. We chose to cut these in an H pattern. One cut down the middle of the two bars, then two more cuts down the valley.
image.jpg18_zps0p8xgekb.jpg

12) All cut and ready for seats
image.jpg16_zps4dsxqk3f.jpg

13) Up
image.jpg19_zps7kn5sp3i.jpg

14) Down
image.jpg20_zpsnwq6xxpw.jpg

15) Ready to roll
image.jpg21_zpsa89wkgd5.jpg

16) Enjoy seating for 8 and your new third row!
image.jpg24_zpspx8mqckm.jpg

It's worth pointing out that GMT-900 vehicles come with plastic trim to go around the brackets. While I was doing my research I found people often left them off to keep the floor level for sliding loads in and out. I also plan on getting a matching weather tech rear cargo liner to keep things neat.

Last edited:

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
Excellent post! I am getting ready to install the brackets in my cop Tahoe. Problem is that I can't find a reasonably priced third row. I recently scored a jump seat/console through a municipal auction for cheap so hopefully a third row will come around at some point. Thanks for all the great pics!

amos

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So first off, thank you for putting this post together, my 07 Tahoe LT 4x4 also did not come with the third row or brackets. With two kids now it has become an issue on a few occasions. I was super relieved that the brackets were a bolt in add, and not welded into the floor. After a 1/2hr trip to the local yard, and $20 later I've got the brackets in hand and trying to find suitable seats. I've been watching CL around my area, and nothing for the 07-14 third row seats are coming up. I've found a few options for the earlier 2000-14 versions. Being that the brackets are the same, any one have experience or any thoughts as to the compatibility of the seats themselves. Color matching is my biggest concern at the moment, I've got the #833 light/dark titanium leather interior and am going to see two different options for the earlier seats today, one in grey and one in tan (don't remember the specific color codes). As I've not gotten to mounting the brackets to the floor yet, I'm planning on just tossing the seats in the back and seeing how they look. I've read somewhere that they won't flip open until the clicked into the brackets so now I'm a little concerned this loose fit, won't really check for any width issues. Anyways tossing this little question to the group, any pitfalls I should watch out for? I will report back on my own experience with the color match, and rough fit.
Thanks!

amos

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Question answered, the earlier seats do in fact fit without any issue, and the earlier Grey/Dark Charcoal interior color is very close in color to the newer titanium interior. Close enough for me to feel fine with moving forward with them. Of course the seat stitching/style is also slightly different, but not so noticeable that anyone who didn't know it would question it in my opinion. I understand that some purists may shake their head at this, but this thing has 170k on the clock, so we're in the mode of stretching functionality without dumping big bucks into it. $20 for the brackets, $5 for the 50Torx socket, and $200 for the seats out of a 2003 Tahoe, not bad in my opinion.
Again thanks for putting this original post together, I hope I've at least contributed and opened up an option for some of those having trouble finding the newer seats.
Cheers-

IMG_7538.JPG IMG_7539.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
preinternet