314k mile cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirReal63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought someone might be amused by this. The truck is my 2003 2500HD RCLB 4x4 LQ4. It has had a long and wonderful life and is still being used as our farm truck. It was an old ATT supervisor's truck and I got it at 274k miles. I had the motor mounts and oil pump replaced at 299k and it had been bulletproof since. I had a bad knock sensor last Fall and replaced them both and the harness but got a bad GM sensor right out of the box. I just replaced both again as well as the hydroboost/power steering pump and hydroboost unit. Of course both knock sensors would not unscrew so I had to break them off and extract the rest.

While I was in there I noticed the cam and was surprised. 314,210k miles and it still looks like this...

I
Cam.jpg

I truly expected it to look worse. When I had the dealer change the oil pump I asked them to pop a few rod caps and make sure this engine was worth putting money into. They said the bearings they checked looked fine for the miles and were still in serviceable condition. I know ATT used to give their fleet vehicles good service and I have done the same. I expect to get a lot more miles out of this old truck. It still barks the tires going into second and pulls my 18' trailer and tractor around with ease. New brakes and steering done, front axles next. :D

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have demonstrated how durable these trucks are, if you maintain them properly. Nice work!

OP
OP
SirReal63

SirReal63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks but most of the credit goes to the fleet service at ATT, I just kept up the tradition. Once a year I do an engine flush with Liqui-Moly 2037 on all of my vehicles. I have only owned it 10 years and it gets beat on frequently. I considered selling it a few times, I have other trucks here but this one is such a workhorse. It is stronger and more reliable than my 94 F350 CCLB 4wd turbo IDI diesel 5 speed as well as more comfortable. Since the oil pump and o-ring change in 2014 it runs 40psi oil pressure at hot idle. It has been the perfect compliment to my 03 Yukon XL Denali with 213k miles on it.

My wife used to question why I keep driving these old vehicles as she gets a new truck every few years. She gets it now, no car payment and cheap and easy to work on. Take care of them and they last.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14