3 inch lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BeenChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well explained Chad.

steveothekid - The 3" lift via keys and coil spacers for less than 1k will do the job. Since you're new to the forum it's worth mentioning to read up on the pros and cons of lifting the truck via key's which in the end will cost more than 1k in either parts replacements or part correction/labor/time.

To save you a bit of time - if you go with key's and coil spacers; it's best to redo front-end components (specifically your upper arms). The stock balljoint's cannot withstand the increased angle for long and fail pre-mature. CV-boots at the increased angle also tear pre-mature and sling grease all over after cranking the FE. CV-spacers aren't a bad idea to retain them. If you're adding larger tires, it's a good or good idea in general to sleeve your tie rods to add strength there. I've learned the hard way on a couple of these trucks and wish I would have invested in a lift kit off the git.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your CV axles are really intended to be mostly straight throughout their operation. They do bend to comply with bumps..

Keys make them bend all the time. This wears them out faster. It is also harder alex on bearings in front diff, puts a more downward strain on them and wears them out.

Your braking will work like $heet as well. All vehicles are designed to slope to front so front brakes do the work, where weight is. Your abs will kick in much easier, and pr lock your brakes up easier.

Won't steer as well, when leveled... there is ledd weight on front end. It will feel soft. And it wont bite on turn in as well.

Trailering forget it. Ppl do it. But i think is insane.

I am an engineer i was on a racing team and we designed our own chasis. After market companies who sell lift kits dont have the models to understand dynamic behavior once their parts are installed. Lift kits are extremely dangerous. And well serve a purpose but not for the road.

Is my professional opinion. If you want to make a show car and or off road beast it is a great idea. However not too gd for road. If you do re configure you need all new suspension control arms etc to properly align the mechanicals or will wear them out.

I would just stick to bigger tires that fit, and or remove accessories under doors. If you lift, maybe an inch on the front.

It is best to just buy a truck that is already lifted from factory.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

Steveothekid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Your CV axles are really intended to be mostly straight throughout their operation. They do bend to comply with bumps..

Keys make them bend all the time. This wears them out faster. It is also harder alex on bearings in front diff, puts a more downward strain on them and wears them out.

Your braking will work like $heet as well. All vehicles are designed to slope to front so front brakes do the work, where weight is. Your abs will kick in much easier, and pr lock your brakes up easier.

Won't steer as well, when leveled... there is ledd weight on front end. It will feel soft. And it wont bite on turn in as well.

Trailering forget it. Ppl do it. But i think is insane.

I am an engineer i was on a racing team and we designed our own chasis. After market companies who sell lift kits dont have the models to understand dynamic behavior once their parts are installed. Lift kits are extremely dangerous. And well serve a purpose but not for the road.

Is my professional opinion. If you want to make a show car and or off road beast it is a great idea. However not too gd for road. If you do re configure you need all new suspension control arms etc to properly align the mechanicals or will wear them out.

I would just stick to bigger tires that fit, and or remove accessories under doors. If you lift, maybe an inch on the front.

It is best to just buy a truck that is already lifted from factory.

I would do a suspension lift kit but they don't make anything smaller than 6 inches. I want 3 inches max so i figured keys were the way to go. what other parts would you recommend to go along with the keys to combat the issues that come with it? if you wouldn't mind linking specific parts that would be amazing, if not it's okay. just looking for some guidance. My end goal is to run 285's on the truck and have a bit more clearance, nothing crazy.

thanks

BeenChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Install:
-Cognito upper arms
-LCA jounce spacers
-New pitman & idler arms
-Beefier steering link
-Cognito steering brace kit
-Tie rod sleeves

All of this is recommended for a 3" key lift in my opinion. Good idea to refresh your hubs, stabilizer links, shocks, and longer rear sway bar links as well.

OP
OP
S

Steveothekid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Install:
-Cognito upper arms
-LCA jounce spacers
-New pitman & idler arms
-Beefier steering link
-Cognito steering brace kit
-Tie rod sleeves

All of this is recommended for a 3" key lift in my opinion. Good idea to refresh your hubs, stabilizer links, shocks, and longer rear sway bar links as well.
Thanks a lot i appreciate it

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would do a suspension lift kit but they don't make anything smaller than 6 inches. I want 3 inches max so i figured keys were the way to go. what other parts would you recommend to go along with the keys to combat the issues that come with it? if you wouldn't mind linking specific parts that would be amazing, if not it's okay. just looking for some guidance. My end goal is to run 285's on the truck and have a bit more clearance, nothing crazy.

thanks
You will want longer shocks and or an adapters to keep yours within their range of travel. Of course you will need the new keys. I am not sure how much effect that angle will have on CV axles, also changed pressure on front diff itself. In end mine were mostly fine, despite my fears.

I am also not for sure how much the suspention will let you stretch it. It is possible you may press it to its extreme edge of travel simply lifting it that far. Prob i am wrong. You can jack up truck and see how far wheels can droop in front.

My best advice would be to look at how gm tuned other suspensions for those years. Say 2500, 3500, setups with mostly similar components. Possibly you could eve swap some parts from those onto your truck.

BeenChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a good tip. After the keys are in make sure to cycle suspension or jack up and lower each arm, tuning the keys until you can liff the front end and turn the hubs without binding. This approach keeps my CV boots from flinging grease.

After that you can size your jounce bumps and end links.

Both of mine are riding a bit lower now but handling had improved especially 4w across the lake.

IMG_20190216_172031.jpg IMG_20190216_172051.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts