'23 HC 'burb headlights & wipers cut off while driving, 2 full seconds.. FRIGHTFUL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoNoGo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'23 HC Suburban 800 miles, no codes on the myGM app afterwards.

Driving 51-52 mph in the boonies on dark, somewhat twisty rural road in medium rain last night, wipers on, high beams on and they cut off for full 2-seconds.. blackout.

Happened so fast that I didn't recall whether the dash light and info screens went off, although I have their illumination turned pretty low anyway, and engine and transmission were normal FWIR.

Seat heater on, high-defrost was on, no music, no nav.

I searched for few key words but no hits,, I hope this is a thing that's been discussed and some code update needed ?

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First time I've seen that on this forum. I don't think it would be a battery issue since it was only the headlights, but it never hurts to check both positive and negative terminals and make sure they're tight.

Were they in AUTO mode? Yours being a '23 it shouldn't have this problem but there has been an issue with the ambient light sensor turning on the headlights at the wrong time. Most people were commenting that the headlights were on during the day, but never did hear anyone say they would go off at night...

GranPrix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's insane to me to see soooo many issues with this new platform. I swear I see a new post almost every other day with someone having some sort of a new issue. This one being one of the craziest.

OP
OP
GoNoGo

GoNoGo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pretty sure that the wipers and the headlights shut off. Yes, auto headlights mode

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's insane to me to see soooo many issues with this new platform. I swear I see a new post almost every other day with someone having some sort of a new issue. This one being one of the craziest.
Its not insane. They sell hundreds of thousands of these vehicles every year and less then 1% have issues lol.

The new platform is much more reliable then the old ones. But the spotlight has shifted.

OP
OP
GoNoGo

GoNoGo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will check the batt cables tightness.. but

My gut instincts tell me it's related to OnStar, and for 2 reasons:

1) the app allows me turn on (or) turn off my headlights

2) my OnStar trial period just ended 24 hours previous to this "blackout" occurring

Last edited:
OP
OP
GoNoGo

GoNoGo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am 110% certain about the headlights going dark.. was almost no ambient lighting outside.

I am 90% certain the wipers stopped.. but wouldn't swear on it.

I am unsure whether my dash and infotainment screen went dark.. as I keep their brightness level very low at night, and I always keep my infotainment screen off (black).

One's mind can think many thoughts in a brief moment, and I simply recall coming out of the curve and it being suddenly quiet, dark and hard to see.. thinking where the hell do I pull off this road.

OP
OP
GoNoGo

GoNoGo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the NHTSA info link, I will do, I was actually wondering how I can prove this issue if I indeed needed to.. thinking to get a car cam from Amazon and maybe attach it to the front-passenger headrest and aim it slightly left and down as to see some of the drivers dash as well as out front.

Chad G 1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had it happen Friday night during a snowstorm, and it lasted less than a second, i thought i was imagining things. Was running the wipers and they froze in upper location and headlights and dash lights all went out for same moment of time. Was weird thats for sure. I will need to do the link also now that i know i didnt imagine it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos