21 Yukon Loose front CV Axles?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nwhite202

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi All,

I was under the Yukon today and noticed the front CV axles have a decent amount of play in them. I can grab them with my hands and move them in and out, up, down, front and back. Is this normal? I checked the rear shafts and they do not move one centimeter. They are rock solid.

Thanks I’m advance for the help!

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That doesn't seem right. There is always a little play, but that type of joint is designed to be fairly tight (clearance wise) in all movements. Are you getting any noise from them? Do you drive in AUTO mode on the t-case on a regular basis? Unless the design has changed to help reduce the rolling resistance, I don't know what else to add. I'm sure someone else may have better info than I.

OP
OP
N

Nwhite202

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I drive mostly in 2wd because 4wd auto tends to get some “skippyness” when accelerating. Almost feels like the transmission is slipping. 2wd eliminates that.

As for the play, it’s in and out and up down front and back on the hub and differential side. There is really no difference and appears to be equally loose. There is enough play for it to make a clicking sound when moving with my hand.

I’ll try taking to the dealer but I have a feeling they will just say “it’s normal” but it feels far from normal to me.

Chad G 1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4wd auto is to be used when road conditions may be variable and 4wd can kick in as needed. It isnt to be used as a main driving configuration. As far as the play, i would see if i could find one on the lot you could compare yours to. Its possible that there is something wrong or worn out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo