2024 diesel allocation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shadeandsound

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My post (#2) tells my story, and the Yukon XL Denali 3.0L I had three different identical orders placed for at one time since last October is now at Dealer #3, which I will be picking up on Monday of next week supposedly:

- 2024 GMC Yukon XL Denali 4WD 3.0L Duramax
- Sterling Metallic
- Bright Machined/Painted 22"
- Very Dark Ash Gray/Dark Walnut
- Panoramic Sunroof
- Illuminated Power Steps

This is a rare bird. I have looked for six months and never found one exactly like it that didn't also have the Rear Seat Entertainment System and/or Max Trailering Package.

Last edited:

shadeandsound

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My post (#2) tells my story, and the Yukon XL Denali 3.0L I had three different identical orders placed for at one time since last October is now at Dealer #3, which I will be picking up on Monday of next week supposedly:

- 2024 GMC Yukon XL Denali 4WD 3.0L Duramax
- Sterling Metallic
- Bright Machined/Painted 22"
- Very Dark Ash Gray/Dark Walnut
- Panoramic Sunroof
- Illuminated Power Steps

This is a rare bird. I have looked for six months and never found one exactly like it that didn't also have the Rear Seat Entertainment System and/or Max Trailering Package.

To update my story:

My order did arrive last week, and I dropped by this past weekend to get a sneak peek, prior to getting ready to pick up today.

Unfortunately, after I told literally everyone I talked to (multiple times) at the dealership to be sure that there is NOT any window film, door edge guards, etc. installed, their in-house tint guy grabbed my truck and threw their garbage on right when it got on the lot last Thursday or Friday.

In retrospect, I should have printed and delivered signs that said "NO TINT, NO PPF" in advance, but I resisted my urge to micromanage, as three different individuals there assured me that no aftermarket items are ever installed on customer-ordered vehicles.

Typical window tinting procedures of course introduce moisture to the backside of the leather door panels, then condensate into the hidden areas of the leather while drying (which can cause shrinkage or discoloring later on). Also, the water/slip solution used in the process that runs down the visible areas of the door panel often contains sulfates or detergents which can etch or even discolor the material. This was a huge issue on the 2015-2020 GM SUV/truck models with black and brown interiors. All this is not to even mention the awfulness of clearly visible debris, creases, and atrocious gaps that are somehow acceptable in the new vehicle pre-load industry.

Then of course the sloppily-applied door edge guards are going to have scratches near them from that installation since those guys usually spend about 10 seconds per edge guard. Laughably, the addendums at dealerships in my market will commonly show the 16-minute window tint and 40-second door edge guards as $299-499 EACH.

So, I'm not buying it--the whole point of ordering precisely what I wanted, and buying brand new, was so that everything would be as perfect as possible from the start. This morning I went right over to Dealer #2 from my timeline, and placed a brand new, identical order (Now Order #4 for me) for allocation/build who knows when...summer maybe?

I have more experience with dealerships work than I'd like to. So while this was all extremely disappointing after all of the effort and time I have spent, it was not totally unexpected.

After having been in the window film business for 25 years, I have found that the best way to execute an installation on these trucks, and especially anything with leather door panels, is to carefully, and completely remove them, remove the horizontal sweeps, cover everything possible with towels, and install the window film in one step (not the top 3/4, then bottom 1/4 as is done in a "two-stage" approach). This nearly eliminates even the possibility of edge creases and debris, and allows for more complete coverage.

I install window film on these trucks all the time, and by doing this, can attain coverage of 1/4-3/8" past the front/rear vertical seals, 1" down below the bottom seal, and 1/64" or smaller gap at the top on these trucks (due to the squared top edge on the laminated glass).

Do most people care? No, but they should! I feel like if you are spending $75-105k on a vehicle, you should expect a level of quality appreciable from 6" away, and not just 6' away--that way, if you do look closely, you are not disappointed. It's very sad that the new car industry has effectively lowered the bar for consumers' expectations of quality when vehicles cost so much compared to just a short time ago, then has largely taken away their ability to add or omit aftermarket add-ons.

So it looks like another 3-6 month wait for me if I can get an allocation...good thing I don't need it!

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The real question is what is anyone's opinion on when the last year they will offer the diesel? You KNOW that day is coming and I potentially would order "Just one more" before the end of the end....

As far as perfection goes, the next one you get in could have paint defects? Then what? I tinted, filmed, coated, and aftermarket painted many things on mine. No issues and tons of complements. Done it on my last 5+ vehicle over 20+ years with no negative effects and helpful at resale as most buyers liked my tasteful upgrades....

Last edited:

shadeandsound

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The real question is what is anyone's opinion on when the last year they will offer the diesel? You KNOW that day is coming and I potentially would order "Just one more" before the end of the end....

As far as perfection goes, the next one you get in could have paint defects? Then what? I tinted, filmed, coated, and aftermarket painted many things on mine. No issues and tons of complements. Done it on my last 5+ vehicle over 20+ years with no negative effects and helpful at resale as most buyers liked my tasteful upgrades....

I'm under the impression that the LM2 diesel will be an option in the GMC Yukons until calendar year 2025, at which point the LZ0 will be an option. So I think I will make the cutoff before the facelift/engine options change.

As for my own personal pursuit of perfection...I can tolerate some flaws in the paint, especially those which might be covered up by the full front PPF that will be installed. But I just can't stand the standard, especially dealer pre-load approaches to window tinting, which have beome more careless in general as the interior surfaces of vehicles have become increasingly more delicate.

I had a part-time job doing pre-load for a Toyota dealership many years ago while I was finishing my store upfit, and the carelessness I witnessed was just unfathomable. I wish dealers had never gotten into the add-on stuff as it has had a very negative affect on my industry.

When I started installing films in 1999, it was all about pushing the envelope of quality. Now, to appease the average consumer's budget, it's all about speed. So I really don't want someone other than me doing any aftermarket installations is all, and I'm willing to walk away from a vehicle I've awaited for several months over it.

Last edited:

chrisbusnut

Reaction score
To update my story:

My order did arrive last week, and I dropped by this past weekend to get a sneak peek, prior to getting ready to pick up today.

Unfortunately, after I told literally everyone I talked to (multiple times) at the dealership to be sure that there is NOT any window film, door edge guards, etc. installed, their in-house tint guy grabbed my truck and threw their garbage on right when it got on the lot last Thursday or Friday.

In retrospect, I should have printed and delivered signs that said "NO TINT, NO PPF" in advance, but I resisted my urge to micromanage, as three different individuals there assured me that no aftermarket items are ever installed on customer-ordered vehicles.

Typical window tinting procedures of course introduce moisture to the backside of the leather door panels, then condensate into the hidden areas of the leather while drying (which can cause shrinkage or discoloring later on). Also, the water/slip solution used in the process that runs down the visible areas of the door panel often contains sulfates or detergents which can etch or even discolor the material. This was a huge issue on the 2015-2020 GM SUV/truck models with black and brown interiors. All this is not to even mention the awfulness of clearly visible debris, creases, and atrocious gaps that are somehow acceptable in the new vehicle pre-load industry.

Then of course the sloppily-applied door edge guards are going to have scratches near them from that installation since those guys usually spend about 10 seconds per edge guard. Laughably, the addendums at dealerships in my market will commonly show the 16-minute window tint and 40-second door edge guards as $299-499 EACH.

So, I'm not buying it--the whole point of ordering precisely what I wanted, and buying brand new, was so that everything would be as perfect as possible from the start. This morning I went right over to Dealer #2 from my timeline, and placed a brand new, identical order (Now Order #4 for me) for allocation/build who knows when...summer maybe?

I have more experience with dealerships work than I'd like to. So while this was all extremely disappointing after all of the effort and time I have spent, it was not totally unexpected.

After having been in the window film business for 25 years, I have found that the best way to execute an installation on these trucks, and especially anything with leather door panels, is to carefully, and completely remove them, remove the horizontal sweeps, cover everything possible with towels, and install the window film in one step (not the top 3/4, then bottom 1/4 as is done in a "two-stage" approach). This nearly eliminates even the possibility of edge creases and debris, and allows for more complete coverage.

I install window film on these trucks all the time, and by doing this, can attain coverage of 1/4-3/8" past the front/rear vertical seals, 1" down below the bottom seal, and 1/64" or smaller gap at the top on these trucks (due to the squared top edge on the laminated glass).

Do most people care? No, but they should! I feel like if you are spending $75-105k on a vehicle, you should expect a level of quality appreciable from 6" away, and not just 6' away--that way, if you do look closely, you are not disappointed. It's very sad that the new car industry has effectively lowered the bar for consumers' expectations of quality when vehicles cost so much compared to just a short time ago, then has largely taken away their ability to add or omit aftermarket add-ons.

So it looks like another 3-6 month wait for me if I can get an allocation...good thing I don't need it!
Wow, that sounds like a nightmare! I probably would have done the same thing. I can't stand it when a dealer commits to something and then doesn't stand behind it.

You're probably continuing to scour the internet, but it seems that inventory levels are starting to go up. Here in the Portland, OR area, it seems that Beaverton GMC has by far the best inventory. I purchased my 2024 there in mid-December, and have seen multiple Yukons sitting on the lot. But it seems like most of the incoming units have similar option packages, and the more specific you are on what options you do and don't want, the harder it is to find (I'm sure you know this well).

Best of luck, and keep us updated!

shadeandsound

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wow, that sounds like a nightmare! I probably would have done the same thing. I can't stand it when a dealer commits to something and then doesn't stand behind it.

You're probably continuing to scour the internet, but it seems that inventory levels are starting to go up. Here in the Portland, OR area, it seems that Beaverton GMC has by far the best inventory. I purchased my 2024 there in mid-December, and have seen multiple Yukons sitting on the lot. But it seems like most of the incoming units have similar option packages, and the more specific you are on what options you do and don't want, the harder it is to find (I'm sure you know this well).

Best of luck, and keep us updated!
Thanks! Admittedly, a lot of my decision to walk away was out of principle just as much as it was from annoyance over how absurdly low-quality dealer-installed "upgrades" are...the standards are in fact not even close to those of even worst aftermarket shops I have seen around here. But the dealerships get away with it since most consumers don't even notice details, and just assume that if something came on a vehicle that is brand new, it must be "factory-installed". I really didn't want to start my relationship with this dealer having already been let down by false promises.

I have been searching, thought Yukon XL Denalis optioned as I want are either nonexistent, or seem to be very, very far away, like 1,500-2,000 or more miles away. And the problem with that is, if I get there and there is a scratch, dent, or a license plate bracket drilled through the front bumper, I'm kind of stuck either buying something unsatisfactory, or going back empty-handed.

Supposedly allocations are handed out on Thursdays, so hopefully one of these Thursdays I will get the congratulatory email from GMC...

Last edited:

Big Bad Allis

Reaction score
Just ordered a Denali XL Ultimate Silver with the 3.0 Duramax this morning. We'll see how long it takes to come in. I'm not in a hurry. My 2020 Navigator L will be fine until it arrives. I am hoping to spend some time with it before the next Michigan winter.

alexei81

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think that's dealer BS, I've heard a lot of examples of custom orders coming with addons. Dealer's can't resist the urge to pad their pockets with that garbage.

SNWMBL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ours is suppose to start production March 18th, can anyone provide insight as to how long production typically takes before it’s shipped out?

shadeandsound

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ours is suppose to start production March 18th, can anyone provide insight as to how long production typically takes before it’s shipped out?

My experience with the last one that I didn't end up buying was that allocation/order acceptance occured around December 21st, production was sometime in the third or fourth week of January, shipment from the factory began in early February, and delivery to the dealership was on or around February 16th.

There are a lot of variables involved, which can result in delivery days/weeks earlier or later, but based on all I have read, it seems that anything between 4-10 weeks between order acceptance and delivery is considered normal lately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts