2023 High Country moonroof exploding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

STEMI22

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey! Newbie here! Today I was driving my brand new 2023 High Country and my panoramic moonroof exploded! I haven't even made the first payment on her! Glass went everywhere and what glass didn't fall completely shattered! It sounded like a BOMB going off! I was the only one on the road. Weather was clear. It was between 40-50 degrees outside. Has this ever happened to anyone? I'm waiting on a call back from my contact at my Chevy dealer now. Other than this incident, my Hoe has been GREAT! I've been researching all day and around 2018 it looks like this was a problem for GM. Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

shadeandsound

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, I know it is a huge mess!

This has been happening for many years with sunroofs of all different shapes and from various vehicle and glass manufacturers, and can occur due to a small rock, etc. from the road hitting in just the right place, or a Nickel Sulfide Inclusion, or from some kind of impact from an edge at just the right point. Drastic temperature differences between sections of glass can stress and creates breakage as well, if there is already a chip or very small crack, and in the case of tempered glass, this means shattering.

I have had around five clients that have had this happen in my 24 years working on vehicles, two of which I had tinted their sunroofs several months prior (in which case the glass stayed completely in place), and three of which were untinted, totally stock. There seems to be no great explanation other than it does happen, and there have been widespread reports of it happening on some vehicles more than others--newer GM SUVs are not one to my knowledge.

Last edited:

Macrez21

Reaction score
Hey! Newbie here! Today I was driving my brand new 2023 High Country and my panoramic moonroof exploded! I haven't even made the first payment on her! Glass went everywhere and what glass didn't fall completely shattered! It sounded like a BOMB going off! I was the only one on the road. Weather was clear. It was between 40-50 degrees outside. Has this ever happened to anyone? I'm waiting on a call back from my contact at my Chevy dealer now. Other than this incident, my Hoe has been GREAT! I've been researching all day and around 2018 it looks like this was a problem for GM. Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
I've only come across the rear windows blowing out and it's been on a variety of vehicles. Like the previous poster mentioned the times I've seen it was due to temp/pressure changing inside the vehicle. Sorry that happened to you, I've never heard of any Yukon or Tahoe exploding.

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
couple of other instances

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As stated above, this is a known issue. There was probably a moonroof glass production run that was not properly tempered and stress relieved.

Take it back to the dealer and have it replaced under warranty.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As stated above, this is a known issue. There was probably a moonroof glass production run that was not properly tempered and stress relieved.

Take it back to the dealer and have it replaced under warranty.
The one guy that posted about this a while ago basically said the dealer told him to go pound sand.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one guy that posted about this a while ago basically said the dealer told him to go pound sand.
I remember that. Being that it's so new, and it wasn't raining rocks, hopefully it'll get covered. I would be mad AF if I were in that position and you can rest assured GM would be paying for it.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember that. Being that it's so new, and it wasn't raining rocks, hopefully it'll get covered. I would be mad AF if I were in that position and you can rest assured GM would be paying for it.
Yea id be pissed too.

Makes me wonder if the glass is not sized properly or perfectly aligned, and with a slight bit of body flex while driving it pinches it enough to bust.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts