2022 YUKON DENALI XL - 1st Oil Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vinnoto1

Reaction score
Hello,

Im coming up on 4k miles and my dash is reading 50% oil life remaining. What interval changes do you guys recommend, should it be change by a certain point in the oil life?

Thank you in advance!

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Im coming up on 4k miles and my dash is reading 50% oil life remaining. What interval changes do you guys recommend, should it be change by a certain point in the oil life?

Thank you in advance!
By the book, when it gets to 15% schedule your appointment. Oil Life Monitor system has been around a long time and works well; lots of old school guys will disagree, but it is well tuned to the true oil life and has been proven well; including by used oil analysis.

If you don’t mind spending a little extra coin; changing it every 5k or so probably prudent given the lifter situation…but that may or may not be oil related.

GMCnewbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was a recent thread about this. Most of us old timers have accepted that you no longer need to do a break-in oil change in the first 1000 miles. The book says oil changes at 7500 miles or once a year. I go with 5000 miles because it is easy to remember and because I like clean oil. That is how you get the "wear and tear" out of your engine.

pa31p

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I’m wrong, but the current 5.3’s and 6.2’s don’t have EGR which helps greatly keeping the entire system cleaner. most of the more frequent oil changes (including me) are probably more piece of mind and hobby related that an actual requirement. Best preventative maintenance you can do is check the oil level frequently.

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done oil changes at 5K miles on every vehicle I've owned except my R32 that only sees about 2K miles a year so I just change it annually

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LS motors from 2003 on use valve overlap for EGR when they went to drive by wire. There isn't any extra hardware anymore. You still have some degree of EGR, it's just built into the engine structure. I'm sure there are other things that go into it as well with the drive-by-wire throttle.

I'm young enough to understand the oil life monitor ideals, but old enough to reme dojng 3k services all the time in the shop business. 5k became more comlon with good syntht oils. All automakers strive to make the cost per mile of ownership as low for the end user as a sales pitch. Hence super long intervals on all fluids, etc.

Certain engines seem to deal with extended drain intervals better than others. Take the 3.6 in most GM cars - go by the oil life monitor and get the joy of putting a timing chain and tensioner in just after the warranty expires. OR, change it more frequently and not have that issue.

Oil is cheap in the big scheme of things, so do it on the 5's and have an easy way to remember when it's due next.

The only time I would consider 7500 miles is if I were an over the road driver and did all interstate driving for long periods each day. Cold starts, and stop/go driving makes the oil dirtier much faster.

Case in point: drove my 2008 denali from WI to NM, CO and back. Oil still looked brand new when I returned because of the type of driving. Added about 2000 miles of normal driving afterwards and it dirtied up pretty quickly. Just my 2 cents.

slickbrave

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have faith in the synthetic oils, I'm just not sure the oil filters have advanced that much. On engines with top mounted canister oil filters, I'll change the filter at 3750 and the oil at 7500.

I understand manufacturers don't use thin break-in oil anymore, but isn't there still an issue with metal particles in new engines?

MrScrewzloose

Reaction score
My non-scientifically approach (perhaps old school) has always been changing every 5000 miles, religiously for all my vehicles. It's the cheapest insurance I can control and my engines have always treated me well in return.

More importantly, it's an hour or more of time to myself, to turn a wrench, grab a beer and do my thing with no interruptions.

robgreg75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still have changed every new engine I have ever either rebuilt or bought new around 500 miles. Since I have never paid for an oil change in my life I am not out much money. My 2021 Tahoe I had I change at around 500 miles and still had lifter failure lol owe well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman