2022 Tahoe order process

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AgentOrange86

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OP, I hate that for you but yeah, your dealer never submitted your order at the beginning. Dealers don't wait to submit orders in the system just because they're waiting on allocation. I ordered my Z71 on 1/05 and got my order number along with the submitted build sheet for review the very next day. You need to review the build sheet and make sure they submitted it correctly because I had to make several corrections on items they inadvertently added that I didn't want.

Two weeks later, my dealer let me know I was at the 1st spot in line with their customer orders which mean if they got an allocation for a Z71 with all the options I wanted then my order would be accepted by GM. A few weeks later my order was accepted by GM with Target Production Week of 3/7. It was produced and sent down to the storage lots in Midlothian Texas on 3/11 where it waits for any more of the chips or parts that may not have been available as it went through the production line.

I received word yesterday that my truck was completed on 3/18 and was given an Estimated Time of Arrival date for 4/2. This is the date it's supposed to be delivered to the rail yard hub in my region (Memphis) and then the dealer sends a truck to transport the vehicle to their lot. However, the ETA date is tricky because that Midlothian lot and the subsequent rail yard where it's delivered is basically like new vehicle purgatory and when there's a delay, it seems most dealers are either in the dark on the cause or when it's going to get there. They'll make up something to tell as to not appear stupid from most of the accounts I've read so far.

If I were you, I'd use this as a bargaining chip. You're going to have to wait a few more months on your 22 and the dealer is going to want to put an extra "market adjustment" price on top of the MSRP which could be an additional $5-10k depending on your market. You could play the nice guy approach and say "hey, everybody makes mistakes - but I only think it's fair to waive any market adjustment fee and I'd like to draw up a mutually agreed upon pricing sheet with signatures".

firsttimetahoe

Reaction score
You're going to have to wait a few more months on your 22 and the dealer is going to want to put an extra "market adjustment" price on top of the MSRP which could be an additional $5-10k depending on your market. You could play the nice guy approach and say "hey, everybody makes mistakes - but I only think it's fair to waive any market adjustment fee and I'd like to draw up a mutually agreed upon pricing sheet with signatures".

Isn’t it customary for you to discuss the price when building the actual car before submitting the order? If dealers are adding unexpected markups when the vehicle is delivered and it’s time to sign the paperwork, than I wouldn’t do business with that dealer out of principal.

JamiGirl3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Same boat with dealership conversations. I ordered my 2022 Tahoe rst January 21st. Contacted the dealership couple times he says no news. Last week I checked with chat they said order is submitted but no tpw yet. Contacted chat yesterday because I'm anxious and said the order hasn't been accepted yet. This is all very frustrating but trying to be patient. So I feel your pain

AgentOrange86

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Isn’t it customary for you to discuss the price when building the actual car before submitting the order? If dealers are adding unexpected markups when the vehicle is delivered and it’s time to sign the paperwork, than I wouldn’t do business with that dealer out of principal.
That's how it should be done, but when you say "customary", remember that it's a car dealership and their primary goal is to milk you bone dry. It's up to you to make that happen if they don't bring it up. My dealer didn't and my build sheet order only showed MSRP so I thought all was good. But then I read more from others who had agreed on a pricing sheet with signatures before the order was placed. Others who have scoffed at the market adjustment price when "their" vehicle was delivered were simply told take it or leave it, we have customers lined up to buy this car at this price if you don't want it. And they really do, unfortunately.

Once I found out that they were selling other vehicles at $10k market adjustment, I called the dealer and let them know I felt like they had mislead me. We negotiated it down to $5k and they waived a standard $1800 service and paint protection package that comes on their new vehicles.

firsttimetahoe

Reaction score
That's how it should be done, but when you say "customary", remember that it's a car dealership and their primary goal is to milk you bone dry. It's up to you to make that happen if they don't bring it up. My dealer didn't and my build sheet order only showed MSRP so I thought all was good. But then I read more from others who had agreed on a pricing sheet with signatures before the order was placed. Others who have scoffed at the market adjustment price when "their" vehicle was delivered were simply told take it or leave it, we have customers lined up to buy this car at this price if you don't want it. And they really do, unfortunately.

Once I found out that they were selling other vehicles at $10k market adjustment, I called the dealer and let them know I felt like they had mislead me. We negotiated it down to $5k and they waived a standard $1800 service and paint protection package that comes on their new vehicles.

I see. Every dealer I spoke to / visited I verified whether or not they were charging over MSRP before I even decided to start the ordering process. Almost every one said they were charging more, some specified exactly how much while
Others said market value but we can negotiate. I refuse to pay over. I finally found one who said they do not sell over MSRP and that’s that - meaning no wiggle room going under MSRP either. My car is still being waiting to be built, but I guess I am just taking them for their word when the moment comes to sign on the dotted line. Although I asked them numerous times throughout that there’s no chance they’ll go over MSRP, because I refuse to buy it if that’s the case and they kept assuring me they wouldn’t. If they would - I don’t know why they’d lie just to build my car. It’s not like they can’t just get one anyway that’s not customized

BobS255

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey there first time on this forum, my wife and I purchased a 2022 Tahoe LT that was listed in transit at the dealer on 2/8/22. There sales manager explained it would be about 3-4 weeks before the vehicle would be arriving at the dealership so when I checked back on 3/8/22 I was told GM in Grand Prairie Texas has the vehicle on hold for inspection with no estimated release date.I have the vin number I know the vehicle has been built. Does anyone have any insight other than the dealer on how I can find out more information on the shipping status of my car. Thank You!!!

mickheff73

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had the same situation Mattadam, ordered a 2021 Tahoe Z71 in August 21 with a planned delivery date of December 2021, it was ordered but never "Accepted." Then in Oct we were informed that no more 21's were being built, so we had to re-order a 2022. That also was never "Accepted" by Chevy, we kept calling with no status change, all the way through January 2022. We figured out that ours was due to the rear seat entertainment package, they were not being built and were way behind due to chip shortages. We ended up finding exactly the Tahoe we wanted 600 miles away from us the day it was advertised as "in transit" on the Chevy website. It was also unallocated, so we put an immediate deposit on it and picked it up 3 weeks later when it arrived at the dealer. We then cancelled our order from our local dealer and got our other deposit back. It seems that the best way to get a Chevy is put in the filter and find what you like, and call that have one in transit, see if they are spoken for,. the dealer we got ours from said they haven't sold a car off their lot in over 6 months, they were all sold while being shipped to them.

We had a laundry list of must haves / must not haves that made it harder to find a deal we wanted:
MUST Have Z71, Rear Seat entertainment, gray, black or silver
NO dealer installed options (jacking price up by 1000s)
NO "Market Adjustment" fees (same as above)
Happy to pay MSRP
Trade in price at or better than KBB

We got all that, but had to make the 10 hour drive to get it, which I don't regret 1 bit. People are buying cars 1000s of miles away to avoid the 6+ month wait. In the 5 months from our order to the time we abandoned our order and got luck, the base price went up twice from the Chevy build, so when demand outpaces supply, especially in this hot car market, dont expect miracles. The dealers dont want to tell you the truth, as they dont want to lose your business. If they say, yeah, it will be a year or so if you are lucky, they know you will walk. Good luck, but in this aggressive buying environment, passively waiting for cars to arrive doesn't seem to pan out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9

Latest posts