2022 Suburban 6.2 RST - 6,000 mile Impressions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Toomanyhobbies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I got my truck in Feb so I guess I have driven it a lot. When I got it, I REALLY did not like it, coming from my 2004 Tahoe, but after 4 months and 6K miles, I have learned to like some of the features and learned to ignore some of the things I don't like. Here are my impressions:

The good

-The independent rear in these trucks combined with the magnetic suspension is a total game changer. I cannot say enough about the ride
-The 6.2 is fantastic. Tons of power and does 18-20 on the highway in most cases
-The fit and finish is good to very good
-Seat comfort is great compared to previous generations
-Overall size (how big it feels driving it and the amount of interior space) is great.
-Visibility from the driver seat is good and may be better than the last gen.

The bad

-The autostop and the 6.2 should never be combined. I had to disable it. Terrible. Made a huge difference.
-The lane change assist is useless and should never have been approved to install by GM. IT-JUST-SUCKS-PERIOD
-How does the truck not come with blind spot warning mirrors? How?
-There has been several tech glitches where the screen has frozen or I cannot control volume. Usually on longer trips.
-The transmission feels like it has broken in, and is less jerky, but there is still way too much engine braking. Why should I have to hit the gas to roll down a hill in a vehicle that gets this crappy of gas mileage?
-Why is the truck programmed so that after turning it off, if the passenger opens their door the driver still has power to the windows, but not the sunroof? I need to switch the ignition back to "on" to close the roof, but can still shut the windows with the ignition off until driver door is opened. Makes no sense.
-It has a definite squeal that appears to be related to the AFM. I asked the dealer to look at it at first oil change. They acted like they could not hear it. It is significantly worse now, and I am not going to take no for an answer when I am back at the dealer next. It sounds like a loose fan belt pulley, and its annoying.
-After a significant rain, this is what poured out of the driver door sill. This was taken a full minute after I opened the door. Look at all that water on the ground that came out of the door sill:

Suburban.jpg

Overall, I am much happier with the truck than when I got it. But as a long term buyer of vehicles, I do worry about the long term durability of all of the tech features. Time will tell. As a long range highway cruiser this truck cannot be beat though.

suterusu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RE: water from the door sill, there is a TSB out there for sunroof drain issues (clogging, mis-routed, etc).

Eusibius2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Toomanyhobbies ... I'm in a similar situation. I come from a 2004 Tahoe myself. Loved it and thought I was going to hold onto until until I hit the green pastures myself. However, life happened and I sold it to buy a 2022 Z71 Tahoe instead. I was pretty picky when I placed my order for my Z71, and I made sure I got what I wanted, not just what was 'available'. Yup, that meant I waited for a long time.

I completely agree with all your 'good' comments:
- The ride is phenomenally comfortable and smooth.
- 6.2L is great, wouldn't want all this weight with a 5.3L, although I'm sure it would do just fine for daily driving
- my family and I are pretty skeptical, and quick to point out 'faults'. But oddly, there isn't much we complain about on our new Tahoe.
- etc. I'm gloating.

In other notes:
Agree that the lane change assist isn't great. I've turned mine off after a few months of "trying" to get used to it. Nope, not for me. Works when I don't want it to, and doesn't work when it 'should.' Easy fix, turn it off. Same for AutoStartStop (or A$$ for short). Got the AutoStopEliminator and took care of that right away. Waiting for Polaris to come up with the Range tech for the AFM disable too. Patience, my friends.

Not sure about blind spot warning. Are you saying this behemoth has blind spots? Haven't seen 'em.

I haven't had any issues with either my driver console screen, or the center console screen. Both are seemingly fine. Maybe I'm lucky, or possibly you have a software glitch?

Might be related, but the door lock/unlock might be attached to the same software as your screen. My sunroof and all windows work on the same power - meaning, if one works they all work and vice versa. Not sure why your passenger door open would prevent the sunroof from operating but not the driver window. I'll pay more attention to this on mine, too.

I also don't get the engine breaking from the transmission. Maybe I'm blind to this, but feel like I can coast considerably well. In daily driving, I'm mostly in 2WD. My '94 Jeep... now that thing just rolls to a stop in 10 feet. LOL

PXL_20220522_195519760.jpg

Tom-M

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well I got my truck in Feb so I guess I have driven it a lot. When I got it, I REALLY did not like it, coming from my 2004 Tahoe, but after 4 months and 6K miles, I have learned to like some of the features and learned to ignore some of the things I don't like. Here are my impressions:

The good

-The independent rear in these trucks combined with the magnetic suspension is a total game changer. I cannot say enough about the ride
-The 6.2 is fantastic. Tons of power and does 18-20 on the highway in most cases
-The fit and finish is good to very good
-Seat comfort is great compared to previous generations
-Overall size (how big it feels driving it and the amount of interior space) is great.
-Visibility from the driver seat is good and may be better than the last gen.

The bad

-The autostop and the 6.2 should never be combined. I had to disable it. Terrible. Made a huge difference.
-The lane change assist is useless and should never have been approved to install by GM. IT-JUST-SUCKS-PERIOD
-How does the truck not come with blind spot warning mirrors? How?
-There has been several tech glitches where the screen has frozen or I cannot control volume. Usually on longer trips.
-The transmission feels like it has broken in, and is less jerky, but there is still way too much engine braking. Why should I have to hit the gas to roll down a hill in a vehicle that gets this crappy of gas mileage?
-Why is the truck programmed so that after turning it off, if the passenger opens their door the driver still has power to the windows, but not the sunroof? I need to switch the ignition back to "on" to close the roof, but can still shut the windows with the ignition off until driver door is opened. Makes no sense.
-It has a definite squeal that appears to be related to the AFM. I asked the dealer to look at it at first oil change. They acted like they could not hear it. It is significantly worse now, and I am not going to take no for an answer when I am back at the dealer next. It sounds like a loose fan belt pulley, and its annoying.
-After a significant rain, this is what poured out of the driver door sill. This was taken a full minute after I opened the door. Look at all that water on the ground that came out of the door sill:

View attachment 371281

Overall, I am much happier with the truck than when I got it. But as a long term buyer of vehicles, I do worry about the long term durability of all of the tech features. Time will tell. As a long range highway cruiser this truck cannot be beat though.
Do you have engine braking on all hills or only when you have cruise set?

xycrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don‘t understand why people are complaining that much about the 5.3.

I have a 2021 6.2 and I’m writing this in a 5.3 rental Yukon… had a 2017 5.3 before which was ok but it‘s day and night with these new 5.3 rigs. I don‘t know how that is possible even though the specs didn’t change and the new models are way bigger and heavier but acceleration is much better than in my 2017 and really not much worse than my 6.2. honestly, I even think about getting rid of the 6.2 and replacing it with the 5.3 - drives superb and I get 20.5 mpg on average out of it, driving city and highway. Don‘t need more than that. My 6.2 can keep up with the gas mileage if I drive like grandpa. Otherwise it takes more for not much more power in my opinion. The 5.3 and 10 speed is a perfect combination and so much more agile than the old 2017 5.3 linked to the 6 speed. I‘m truly impressed!

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is "Lane Change Assist?" I don't have that feature on my Denali.
I have "Lane Change Alert" which is just a flash of the blind spot warning when the thrn signal is on
AND I have
Lane Keep Assist and Lane Departure Warning, which are both related to keeping you in your lane and alerting you if you leave the lane.

Buffalown

Reaction score
I thought blind spot monitoring on the mirrors was standard?

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought blind spot monitoring on the mirrors was standard?
It is...
@Eusibius2 mentioned "Lane Change Assist" and I just don't know what that is, Like I said, there is Lane Change Alert, Side Blind Zone Alert, Extended Side Blind Zone Alert, Lane Keeping Assist, but no "Lane Change Assist" I can find in the OM. So, was wondering if this was a feature they tanked in 2022?

Chad G 1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is...
@Eusibius2 mentioned "Lane Change Assist" and I just don't know what that is, Like I said, there is Lane Change Alert, Side Blind Zone Alert, Extended Side Blind Zone Alert, Lane Keeping Assist, but no "Lane Change Assist" I can find in the OM. So, was wondering if this was a feature they tanked in 2022?
it is possible he meant lane change alert. some of the verbage used for their safety tech is hard to differentiate the different ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157

Latest posts