2022 6.2 High Country - Low Oil, Likely Blown Motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

RobbieVA

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Quick update - Chevy gave a me a rental(Traverse through Hertz). One month into the breakdown, parts are not available and there is no timeline on when they will be. Our case has been “escalated”. What that actually means, I have not gotten a clear answer. I think it’s a word they’ve been trained to use because it sounds like more is being done than just waiting in line.

Oaktree

Reaction score
Quick update - Chevy gave a me a rental(Traverse through Hertz). One month into the breakdown, parts are not available and there is no timeline on when they will be. Our case has been “escalated”. What that actually means, I have not gotten a clear answer. I think it’s a word they’ve been trained to use because it sounds like more is being done than just waiting in line.
Let’s see who gets a motor first. Mine was diagnosed Jan wk 1, at dealer Dec 31st. We were approved to send monthly rental car bills in this week. The only caveat, I submit for lemon law at 30 days per my states rules.

OP
OP
R

RobbieVA

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Coming up on 7 weeks and the dealership has no idea when they’ll get the motor. I follow up with them regularly and they have no answers.

I still have a rental that they are paying for.

OP
OP
R

RobbieVA

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update - I told the GM advisor who dutifully called every 4 days with no updates to share that I was considering pursuing a lemon law case. I don’t know if it was a coincidence but my engine was at the dealer less than a week later and I got a call today that it was ready. Everything seems fine so far but I’m considering selling it.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very Interesting.......

It still may be worth pursuing if you don't have confidence in it. 7 weeks is a long time. Maybe it will work in your favor

OP
OP
R

RobbieVA

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Final update unless something else happens - my Tahoe had a slight hiccup under acceleration. I took it back to the dealership and they told me they couldn’t replicate the problem and it hasn’t done it since. My bet is that they ran a scan and update before driving it that took care of it. Either way, it went away.

I’m still thinking I’ll sell it. CarMax appraised it for $67k this week. I’m going to check some other places and then decide.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you get a copy of the repair writeup? Be interesting to see what all they replaced and how much labor was used, etc. Shortblock, longblock, complete engine, gaskets, fluids, bolts, mounts etc.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Final update unless something else happens - my Tahoe had a slight hiccup under acceleration. I took it back to the dealership and they told me they couldn’t replicate the problem and it hasn’t done it since. My bet is that they ran a scan and update before driving it that took care of it. Either way, it went away.

I’m still thinking I’ll sell it. CarMax appraised it for $67k this week. I’m going to check some other places and then decide.
the reason you got a "low oil pressure" warning is because metal got stuck in the oil pump, has nothing to do with oil level. them saying it only had 4 quarts may be entirely possible if somehow whatever internal part failed and it spewed oil out the tail pipe.

EHollinshead

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Changed oil on 10/28/22 at 22,500 miles. 8 quarts of exactly what they spec in the manual.

12/23/22, 3 hours into a trip with a 18’ enclosed trailer on flat interstate terrain in cruise control, motor seems to over rev. Tap brakes to take it out of cruise. Motor goes silent and a I get a low oil pressure message. Coast to emergency lane. Will not start. No leaks underneath. Will not shift into neutral for rollback driver. Towed to nearest dealership.

1/2/23, dealership says they drained the oil and it only had 4 qts in it. And there are metal particles in the oil.

There is no doubt in my mind that I put 8 qts in. I bought 8 and I still have the empties at my shop. One 5 qt and three 1 qts. I have the receipt for the oil and filter, also.

Dealership says that they have to get approval from the state Chevy rep to go further.

Anyone else experience anything similar?

Where did 4 quarts of oil go in 5500 miles?

Why didn’t I get a low oil message?

Any suggestions on next steps?
I have a ‘22 Tahoe High Country, 6.2, with 47K miles. My engine blew on the PA Turnpike at 80 mph pulling an enclosed trailer. Car has been sitting at a dealership in PA for 3 months with no end in sight for the replacement engine. Haven’t even address rental reimbursement as the zone guy told us nothing would happen until we get the car back and then the process can take up to 12 mo to resolve. Luckily I don’t have significant rental expense but have accumulated $4500 in rental and turnpike towing expenses.

Supposedly the replacement has been approved and parts ordered.

Very frustrating. A Cadillac dealership has informed me to be prepared for a 12 month wait on the engine. Chevy dealer in PA is little to no help. Lucky to get returned phone calls. Yikes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442

Latest posts