2022 6.2 High Country - Low Oil, Likely Blown Motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RobbieVA

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Changed oil on 10/28/22 at 22,500 miles. 8 quarts of exactly what they spec in the manual.

12/23/22, 3 hours into a trip with a 18’ enclosed trailer on flat interstate terrain in cruise control, motor seems to over rev. Tap brakes to take it out of cruise. Motor goes silent and a I get a low oil pressure message. Coast to emergency lane. Will not start. No leaks underneath. Will not shift into neutral for rollback driver. Towed to nearest dealership.

1/2/23, dealership says they drained the oil and it only had 4 qts in it. And there are metal particles in the oil.

There is no doubt in my mind that I put 8 qts in. I bought 8 and I still have the empties at my shop. One 5 qt and three 1 qts. I have the receipt for the oil and filter, also.

Dealership says that they have to get approval from the state Chevy rep to go further.

Anyone else experience anything similar?

Where did 4 quarts of oil go in 5500 miles?

Why didn’t I get a low oil message?

Any suggestions on next steps?

pa31p

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That much going out the pipe figure you’d smell it see it or get a catalyst error

6.2 and 5.3 engines in the past did burn that much oil with pcv issues but that is all resolved by now by design change. assuming no leaks

I would indeed question why the low oil sensor failed.

OP
OP
R

RobbieVA

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That much going out the pipe figure you’d smell it see it or get a catalyst error

6.2 and 5.3 engines in the past did burn that much oil with pcv issues but that is all resolved by now by design change. assuming no leaks

I would indeed question why the low oil sensor failed.
I’m almost always parked on asphalt or concrete and have never seen evidence of leaks.

OP
OP
R

RobbieVA

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do you pull the dipstick and check it once in a while, like the owners manual says (weekly I believe?). There is no better way to keep track of your engine than regular oil checks.
It’s a good point and one that shouldn’t be overlooked.

This is our 3rd Tahoe - we have a 2007 and 2016. Frankly, I’ve been guilty of being lulled into a false sense of security not only from my good experiences with Tahoes over 15 years but also by the monitoring technology. I get a message if my tires are a couple of pounds low on air pressure and trusted that an unexpected 50% loss of oil would certainly raise an alarm.

I won’t trust it going forward and hopefully others here will benefit from my experience.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s a good point and one that shouldn’t be overlooked.

This is our 3rd Tahoe - we have a 2007 and 2016. Frankly, I’ve been guilty of being lulled into a false sense of security not only from my good experiences with Tahoes over 15 years but also by the monitoring technology. I get a message if my tires are a couple of pounds low on air pressure and trusted that an unexpected 50% loss of oil would certainly raise an alarm.

I won’t trust it going forward and hopefully others here will benefit from my experience.
That I know of, the engines in the Chevys, GMC's, and Cadillacs do not have an oil level monitor, only an oil pressure monitor...and when you get to low oil pressure...its way too late.

Sorry this happened to you, didn't try to sound like a smart rear end, but more providing some friendly advise to other forum users to check it once in a while...
I am in the small minority of the people who checks it at every fill up -- from that car I had in High School where it was more of a "fill up the oil and check the gas" type ride...kept the mosquitos away though.

robgreg75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even if you were down to 4 quarts it should of had oil pressure. Unless chevy put the oil pickup location like 3 inches from the bottom of the pan. My Gallardo holds 10.5 quarts and the fill procedure is to put in 5 quarts and start in then add the rest, yes dry sump but still you should have had pressure.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure of the new LT world, but in generators, the older GM motors rely on a pressure switch for shutdown. They will run until about 25% of oil left. I've seen them shut down, fill/change oil and then run again without issues.

It sounds to me the monitoring system is effed up and doesn't catch it soon enough. Or like @robgreg75 said, maybe the pickup is higher than the older motors. Seems dumb to me, but who knows....

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you pull the dipstick and check it once in a while, like the owners manual says (weekly I believe?). There is no better way to keep track of your engine than regular oil checks.
While I agree this is a good point, after living with a vehicle for 6 mo to a year and a few oil changes, you have a pretty good feel as if it uses oil or not. Once I'm comfortable with its usage (or non usage...) I only check them about once a month if that. They are always full and on mark. I can't remember really, the last time I owned a vehicle that I had to worry about ongoing oil level issues at all...

I usually don't even check it after changing it. 8 qts out, 8qts in, and BOOM it's on the full mark every time.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I agree this is a good point, after living with a vehicle for 6 mo to a year and a few oil changes, you have a pretty good feel as if it uses oil or not. Once I'm comfortable with its usage (or non usage...) I only check them about once a month if that. They are always full and on mark. I can't remember really, the last time I owned a vehicle that I had to worry about ongoing oil level issues at all...

I usually don't even check it after changing it. 8 qts out, 8qts in, and BOOM it's on the full mark every time.
Totally agree, once I get my engines broken in, and have a bit of history with them; I usually can begin predicting what the level will be. But I still check, takes forever to fill a tank on a Yukon anyway; may as well check vs just stand and look at the $ climb on the pump.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne