2021 Yukon Denali Winter rims and tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Samuel Ross

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looking for some advice here on buying winter rims and tires. I am wondering how hard it is to program TPMS with new rims. Do I need to buy from GM dealership? or can Costco or other tires shop do this. I don't want a warning all winter.

Thanks in advance

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy a complete package from Tirerack.com and be done. Tires,rims, and TPMS all mounted and ready to go.
New rims will pick up TPMS within a few miles of driving and you are good to go..

Koepp2637

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Buy a complete package from Tirerack.com and be done. Tires,rims, and TPMS all mounted and ready to go.
New rims will pick up TPMS within a few miles of driving and you are good to go..
Correct buying rim/tire/tmps package from Tirerack is usually the easiest. GM uses pressure activated sensors for the TPMS and they need to be associated with wheel location. You can activate the sensor by deflating the tire (I have not tried this on the 2021+ models) or purchase a tool from Amazon (OEC-T5) for $12. Plenty of videos on YouTube on how this is done. Your looking about $50/TPMS from Tirerack but there are plenty of OEM takeoffs on ebay.

TrueAt1stLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My vote is to buy OEM takeoff’s in size 20” and run Bridgestone Blizzak DMV-2’s. Best winter tire made, IMO, and this is coming from someone who lives in MN and works all over the northern Midwest in terrible weather. I had some Nokian Hakkapeliittas on a Q7 before owning the Yukon and the Blizzaks (specifically the DMV-2’s) were noticeably better on other vehicles in the past.

BrokerThis

'22 Denali Dmax
Reaction score
Would the OEM 20" work with the air ride system? Cause I was planning on doing that route with blizzaks whenever I get my rig, but for some reason recall the 20s not being an option...

jqwiii00

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My vote is to buy OEM takeoff’s in size 20” and run Bridgestone Blizzak DMV-2’s. Best winter tire made, IMO, and this is coming from someone who lives in MN and works all over the northern Midwest in terrible weather. I had some Nokian Hakkapeliittas on a Q7 before owning the Yukon and the Blizzaks (specifically the DMV-2’s) were noticeably better on other vehicles in the past.
I agree 100%, the Bridestone Blizzark's are just amazing. I had never run "winter tires" even in CO but finally put some on a Jeep Grand Cherokee and was totally blown away. However, they wear fast of you run them in warm conditions. They are a winter tire only.

TwoBigBoys n dog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looking for some advice here on buying winter rims and tires. I am wondering how hard it is to program TPMS with new rims. Do I need to buy from GM dealership? or can Costco or other tires shop do this. I don't want a warning all winter.

Thanks in advance
I run 18" OEM GMC rims and OEM TPMS as my winter ride vs summer 22"s. Was told i would not have enough clearance for chains w 20" on my '18 Denali. Beware the retractable steps if you have mudflaps, too, in heavy snow.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just fyi if some of you are not aware, but you can get the blizzaks for a 22” wheel.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess that I would ask what kind of winters do you have where you live? My Denali runs just fine in the NH winters with Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires. I know that in some locations in this country, the winters do require snow tires. You may want to try running your truck in the upcoming winter a bit with your OEM wheel and tire setup, before making the decision to pony up for new wheels and winter tires. Just my 2 cents worth.

Regarding TPMS calibration tools, as recommended above, just buy a simple cheap one off Amazon. It is much easier than performing the manual sequence of letting air out of the tire, and subsequently refilling the tire with air.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts