2021 Yukon Denali Any Regrets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MAYukoner

Reaction score
The AFM/DFM has nothing to do with the lifter failure. It was a bad batch of products from a supplier.

That being said, I had a order for a Yukon Duramax, but had asked the dealer to hold off on the order until he got one in that I could test drive, since I had never sat in one, as none were available in my area.

On my way home from work 3 months ago, I pass a dealer, and I could see a Yukon XL Denali from the highway. I got off, and went to have a look. Hated the seats, hated the view out the windshield, hated the center console, loved the BabyDiesel.

I cancelled my order, and bought my Esky a month later. My only complaint about my 2006 Esky, its not nearly as comfortable as my 2000 Tahoe LT-AR.
Ha guy cancels his 80k order for a 15k esky. Not calling you a liar, but that makes no sense. Entitled to your opinion but cancel an order over a center console? The view? As opposed to a positive website, which I thought I was joining, it’s often a real fear fest and ***** fest about nothing.

lrfinn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Like the interior space and overall appearance of the vehicle. The cheap plastic on lower door panels (already mentioned)and glovebox is really disappointing. Also car was on a flatbed this AM going to dealer for what I am fairly certain is the lifter/misfire issue in 6.2 L engine, so there’s that. 5K miles.

jayoco

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The AFM/DFM has nothing to do with the lifter failure. It was a bad batch of products from a supplier.

That being said, I had a order for a Yukon Duramax, but had asked the dealer to hold off on the order until he got one in that I could test drive, since I had never sat in one, as none were available in my area.

On my way home from work 3 months ago, I pass a dealer, and I could see a Yukon XL Denali from the highway. I got off, and went to have a look. Hated the seats, hated the view out the windshield, hated the center console, loved the BabyDiesel.

I cancelled my order, and bought my Esky a month later. My only complaint about my 2006 Esky, its not nearly as comfortable as my 2000 Tahoe LT-AR.
Actually, many technical writers blame the lifter issues squarely on the AFM/DFM. But...who knows?

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha guy cancels his 80k order for a 15k esky. Not calling you a liar, but that makes no sense. Entitled to your opinion but cancel an order over a center console? The view? As opposed to a positive website, which I thought I was joining, it’s often a real fear fest and ***** fest about nothing.
If you knew more about me, or why my decisions were made.. Maybe you would understand.. I have 5 blown discs in my back, and am not eligible for surgery. Seat comfort is EXTREMELY important to me. The seats sucked a$$. And what does not dropping 80k on a Yukon, and buying a low mile 10k Esky have anything to do with anything? Judgmental much?

MAYukoner

Reaction score
If you knew more about me, or why my decisions were made.. Maybe you would understand.. I have 5 blown discs in my back, and am not eligible for surgery. Seat comfort is EXTREMELY important to me. The seats sucked a$$. And what does not dropping 80k on a Yukon, and buying a low mile 10k Esky have anything to do with anything? Judgmental much?
That’s too bad

the comparison is not realistic to me. I’m glad you find that model to provide you with more comfort

I guess also. Plenty of other options for comfort besides a 15 year old truck. Makes me doubt you would drop 80k then. I’ve driven many comfortable rides. But wouldn’t sacrifice everything else in them for seats. What I’m saying is not to call you a liar but you were shopping 80k $ vehicles and spent 10. So I don’t buy that you actually were realistic in dropping 80k

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I find your argument specious. I was looking at paying cash for a new suv but upon seeing the problems and realizing my old one is a better fit I decided to buy nothing. You can doubt me if you like also.

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious why you didn’t put her into a ‘21 Escalade?
She was in a 2019 escalade (her 3rd), she absolutely hated the interior controls and couldn't take it anymore.
The escalade controls are not intuitive (operating rear climate / video as an example); every new person in the truck was confused and the pictures didn't make sense. She really didn't like the way the buttons were not press buttons but touch buttons. The kicker was how difficult it was to see how much fuel you have remaining (the placement and color of that gauge is bad), her biggest complaint by far.

Between the two; I don't get significantly (definitely some) more of a 'luxury' feeling being in a 2021 Escalade vs a 2021 Denali; to me they both suffer the same short comings.
The above is why she didn't buy another Escalade.

My 'luxury' comments are being driven by my opinion that with the current MSRP's of the Escalade's and the Denali's they are in competition with some pretty high end SUV's. In particular the BMW X7, Merc GLS, Range Rover Sport and SVR to some extent.
For us, this 2021 Denali was head to head against the 2021 BMW X7. After driving both my wife wanted the size of the Denali and I wanted the 'feel' of the X7, if the X7 was the same size it would have easily won her over as well. Her truck, her decision. But, if you would ask her which is 'nicer' or more 'luxury' she wouldn't hesitate to answer and it wouldn't be the one she bought.

I'd highly recommend everyone test drive some of the other SUV offerings, they are different.

Holy Roller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
She was in a 2019 escalade (her 3rd), she absolutely hated the interior controls and couldn't take it anymore.
The escalade controls are not intuitive (operating rear climate / video as an example); every new person in the truck was confused and the pictures didn't make sense. She really didn't like the way the buttons were not press buttons but touch buttons. The kicker was how difficult it was to see how much fuel you have remaining (the placement and color of that gauge is bad), her biggest complaint by far.

Between the two; I don't get significantly (definitely some) more of a 'luxury' feeling being in a 2021 Escalade vs a 2021 Denali; to me they both suffer the same short comings.

My 'luxury' comments are being driven by my opinion that with the current MSRP's of the Escalade's and the Denali's they are in competition with some pretty high end SUV's. In particular the BMW X7, Merc GLS, Range Rover Sport and SVR to some extent.
For us, this 2021 Denali was head to head against the 2021 BMW X7. After driving both my wife wanted the size of the Denali and I wanted the 'feel' of the X7, if the X7 was the same size it would have easily won her over as well. Her truck, her decision. But, if you would ask her which is 'nicer' or more 'luxury' she wouldn't hesitate to answer and it wouldn't be the one she bought.

I'd highly recommend everyone test drive some of the other SUV offerings, they are different.
Okay, so please check me on this:

1) You didn’t put her into a ‘21 Escalade because she had a ‘19 Escalade and hated its user interface.

2) You find the ‘21 Denali not as luxurious as a big BMW or M-B.

3) You prefer the ride on the big BMW and M-B to the Denali.

My questions:

A) Are you aware that a ‘21 Escalade has a completely different user interface than all previous Escalades?

B) Do you know that in the GM hierarchy, Denali is trimmed to near luxury whereas Escalade is luxury?

C) Have you had experience comparing the ride of body-on-frame vehicles (GM truck-based SUVs) to unitized vehicles (BMW and M-B car-based SUVs)? In my experience unitized, regardless of manufacturer, feels taughter - more European - if you will.

MAYukoner

Reaction score

That’s just it. The prices may be comparable. But I’ve been in both the Mercedes and bmw. Yes. Crazy nice. But a glorified version of their smaller count rowers. The x7 and merc cannot be compared for overall size and third row. Luxury wise. No comparison. Not rousing the Germans

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHNorthWoods