2021 Tahoe Illuminated door sills

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

photios

Reaction score
How easy is the really? I've looked at the instructions... I don't quite understand how the wires plug into the Tahoe...

I'm seriously thinking of doing this myself as I have been quoted 4 hours of labor by two separate dealers... at $175/hour plus tax...Yikes!

JTGZ71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How easy is the really? I've looked at the instructions... I don't quite understand how the wires plug into the Tahoe...

I'm seriously thinking of doing this myself as I have been quoted 4 hours of labor by two separate dealers... at $175/hour plus tax...Yikes!
FWIW, I had my dealer do the illuminated door sill plates installation (I decided it might be more than I wanted to undertake), and they only charged me $195 total for the install. Of course, the labor rates will vary from dealer to dealer. When I ordered the parts from GM, I selected dealer installation, and the website quoted me $247.50 (total) from my dealer and $195 (total) from a nearby dealer. So I took screen shots of both and asked my dealer if they would price match the other dealer, and they did.

One other thing - if you're interested at all in doing the illuminated cargo sill plate as well, I actually did that one myself, and found it to be a fairly straight forward install. I think it took me an hour or slightly less.

photios

Reaction score
FWIW, I had my dealer do the illuminated door sill plates installation (I decided it might be more than I wanted to undertake), and they only charged me $195 total for the install. Of course, the labor rates will vary from dealer to dealer. When I ordered the parts from GM, I selected dealer installation, and the website quoted me $247.50 (total) from my dealer and $195 (total) from a nearby dealer. So I took screen shots of both and asked my dealer if they would price match the other dealer, and they did.

One other thing - if you're interested at all in doing the illuminated cargo sill plate as well, I actually did that one myself, and found it to be a fairly straight forward install. I think it took me an hour or slightly less.
Thank you so much for this information!!!! It's very helpful! Are you happy with the illuminated door sills? I have a friend who has them in his Jeep Cherokee... and every time I ride with him, I'm struck at how nice his illuminated sills are, which inspired me to do this for my Tahoe.

JTGZ71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you so much for this information!!!! It's very helpful! Are you happy with the illuminated door sills? I have a friend who has them in his Jeep Cherokee... and every time I ride with him, I'm struck at how nice his illuminated sills are, which inspired me to do this for my Tahoe.
Very happy with them! If you can get that labor rate down (or decide to do it yourself), I would say it’s an upgrade that’s really worth it!

photios

Reaction score
Very happy with them! If you can get that labor rate down (or decide to do it yourself), I would say it’s an upgrade that’s really worth it!
I got my illuminated door sills installed, and you are right... It's worth it. I really like them!!!
Now... I have to decide if I want to do the illuminated cargo one. Are you as happy with that as you are the door sills?

JTGZ71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I got my illuminated door sills installed, and you are right... It's worth it. I really like them!!!
Now... I have to decide if I want to do the illuminated cargo one. Are you as happy with that as you are the door sills?
Glad you're liking the illuminated door sills! I would say as far as the illuminated cargo sill plate, I'm happy with it, but probably less of an impact than the door sills becuase (1) I just don't see the cargo sill as frequently and (2) it's probably a little more "subtle" in terms of the look. That being said, still happy with it, and maybe because I was able to install the cargo sill myself, I feel like it was worth it. If I recall correctly, the part itself for the illuminated cargo sill plate is somewhat expensive. But it's all relative, these are expensive vehicles!

photios

Reaction score
Glad you're liking the illuminated door sills! I would say as far as the illuminated cargo sill plate, I'm happy with it, but probably less of an impact than the door sills becuase (1) I just don't see the cargo sill as frequently and (2) it's probably a little more "subtle" in terms of the look. That being said, still happy with it, and maybe because I was able to install the cargo sill myself, I feel like it was worth it. If I recall correctly, the part itself for the illuminated cargo sill plate is somewhat expensive. But it's all relative, these are expensive vehicles!
Thank you for the feedback. I'm looking around the internet to find a good price. Was the installation straight-forward for the cargo sill? I have looked at the installation instructions, and it does not seem that difficult. I guess my biggest worry would be breaking the panels on the left side to do the electrical hookup.

JTGZ71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for the feedback. I'm looking around the internet to find a good price. Was the installation straight-forward for the cargo sill? I have looked at the installation instructions, and it does not seem that difficult. I guess my biggest worry would be breaking the panels on the left side to do the electrical hookup.
Yep I thought it was pretty straight-forward. From what I remember, the panels popped off without too much trouble, and I didn't do any damage in the process. I think I had a little trouble initially figuring out how to disconnect the existing wiring harness, but was probably just user error. I would say go for it!

Kenmash7828

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yep I thought it was pretty straight-forward. From what I remember, the panels popped off without too much trouble, and I didn't do any damage in the process. I think I had a little trouble initially figuring out how to disconnect the existing wiring harness, but was probably just user error. I would say go for it!
Hi I had the door sills installed on my 2024 Tahoe and the look great but they stay on at night when the headlights come on automatically! Do you have this problem! My dealer says this is how they are suppose to work! Thanks for any info you can pass on!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn

Latest posts