2021 Tahoe 5.3 engine failure at 4,800 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aFarns7

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Code showing 1 cylinder misfire, heard knocking noise and then loud pop. Very low rpm idling, causing whole truck to shake. GM service department can’t get me in until Monday of the following week. And no loaner cars available, bc of chip issues. Based on other threads, I feel like I know what’s coming when I’m able to get it in to the GM service (lifter or valve spring issues, bent pushrod, etc).

But has anyone had the following issues as well? Also showing service traction control, service ESC, and forward collision system unavailable. Code (U0131) lost communication with power steering control module. Anyone have this serviced already?

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What your problem is going to be is parts availability. One of my employees is on week 7 of waiting for parts for his 2021 Silverado that had one of the engine manufacture defects..

Depending on where you live, might be time for Lemon Law..

MSTI

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yep,
I had all the same issues and codes, etc. Replaced all of the lifters and has been fine since. I now have 7500 miles and just took a trip 6 hrs each way with no issues. It did take 2 weeks for the parts to be shipped nd installed however.

21TahoeDisappoint

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, I had those same code issues one week before failure. Took in and they "replaced a module". Less than one week later the valve spring/pushrod failure, and the same codes reappeared. Wonder if they are related.

EmilyShuey

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Code showing 1 cylinder misfire, heard knocking noise and then loud pop. Very low rpm idling, causing whole truck to shake. GM service department can’t get me in until Monday of the following week. And no loaner cars available, bc of chip issues. Based on other threads, I feel like I know what’s coming when I’m able to get it in to the GM service (lifter or valve spring issues, bent pushrod, etc).

But has anyone had the following issues as well? Also showing service traction control, service ESC, and forward collision system unavailable. Code (U0131) lost communication with power steering control module. Anyone have this serviced already?
On my third repair. Usually takes 2-3 weeks because of shortage on parts. My understanding is GM is aware of the issue but has done nothing to resolve it. I’m researching lemon laws in my state.

DangIt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Yep, same issues with my 2021 Tahoe Premier 5.3L. GM just confirmed that it was the lifters. They have ordered a new set for both sides (because they know that replacing one lifter or side is not going to work). However, I’m pretty concerned about the integrity of the rest of my engine. I had my Tahoe in before a 1000 mile trip with this issue, and they said they couldn’t duplicate what was in the videos I had made and all was fine. Just yesterday, they acknowledged it was the lifters, meaning I drove all that time with bent lifters/pushrods. Others have reported shavings in the pan. Here’s a link to a video I took a week ago:

Sucks. I wish GM would recall all the affected VINs. They have apparently changed the lifter supplier at some point, so more recently manufactured Tahoes aren’t having this problem. I bought mine in January and started noticing the knocking/popping around 4000-5000 miles.

MAYukoner

Reaction score
Im new but not sure why or if there is a
Moderator who could start 1 thread of build dates for all of these. It’s too many too keep track of.

would be quite simple and I think helpful to us all

killjoy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yep, same issues with my 2021 Tahoe Premier 5.3L. GM just confirmed that it was the lifters. They have ordered a new set for both sides (because they know that replacing one lifter or side is not going to work). However, I’m pretty concerned about the integrity of the rest of my engine. I had my Tahoe in before a 1000 mile trip with this issue, and they said they couldn’t duplicate what was in the videos I had made and all was fine. Just yesterday, they acknowledged it was the lifters, meaning I drove all that time with bent lifters/pushrods. Others have reported shavings in the pan. Here’s a link to a video I took a week ago:

DangIt - Did GM replace all lifters and pushrods on both sides for you? My '21 AT4 just started doing the same thing. Need to call the dealer in the morning. Was hoping there's a TSB or something I can refer to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC

Latest posts