2019 Tahoe factory undercoating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JC 707

Reaction score
Hmm I think I found a service bulletin which now includes the 2019 models.

Screenshot_20190916-161312_Drive.jpg

OP
OP
A

akbrener

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll try to take a picture of mine tomorrow once it's daytime again, but I would say it's far from wax. Seems a couple people have the same stuff, so I guess it's not incorrect, just a different method, hopefully since it doesn't harden it shouldn't flake. Just have to make sure it doesn't get wiped or scraped off

JC 707

Reaction score
Just got done spending some time under the tahoe...took some photos to post later. What I noticed with me being super OCD is I found many small areas that the wax coating has rubbed off on. My 2019 has 500 miles, build date 3/2019. I plan to buy some of the spray can stuff recommended in that service bulletin I posted and touch up every single area I find.

On a side note we also have a 2018 Honda Odyssey van. I checked that frame and it seems to be painted on rust protection coating, no wax coating. I took my nails and tried to scratch it best I could and could NOT get any coating off. On the other hand I took my nails and easily scratched off the chevy wax coating. Does anyone know if chevy coats the frame first prior to applying wax, maybe a primer coat or something? I sure hope so cause that wax coating comes off super easily.

Edit: the chevy wax coating wasn't super runny soft but it wasn't hard either. Easily comes off with a rub my finger. I did a quick google search and seems chevy has always used a wax coating on the trucks. Wonder why they haven't switched to a spray coating?

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

akbrener

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a quick pic tonight, first is the 2019, just over 1 year and 30k miles. You can see where the undercoating has smeared from the jack, as well as exposed some bare metal starting to show some orange on the leading edges of crossmembers and "impact" areas from road grit. Second pic is the 11 year old 180K undercoating on my 08 which we all know sucks. its dry and peeling in places. Will be attending to the surface rust this fall before I endure my first winter in the north east (just moved from VA to DE)

20190916_195938.jpg 20190916_200059.jpg

JC 707

Reaction score
So I am purchasing the Daubert nox spray and on the main page of their website it has an announcement for GM/Ford dealers on purchasing this product for their Service bulletins. I guess Ford is having the issue of rust as well?

Side note, I am a little unhappy my 2019 $68k vehicle has to be maintained this way but it is what it is...my OCD mind may enjoy touching up every single spot I can find lol. Plus we plan on keeping this Tahoe for life until the wheels fall off so I will maintain it the best I can including the parts not commonly seen by the eye.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Cosmoline was first developed for the military for rust prevention then began being used commercially. It's similar to what you are describing. The stuff that dries tends to flake off with age. I'd guess some of the rust preventatives are dealer applied and may vary due to location.

Winner! Cosmoline rocks at inhibiting rust in areas known to rot. VW slathered it all over the underbody of our Corrado in 1990. Zero rust on the undercarriage to date.

It’s also good for protecting underbody bolts that like to seize and snap ie: swaybar bush mounts, spare tire retaining bolt(s).

Let it be, it’s your friend and prolly slightly different in composition to the OE cosmoline from the 90’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk