2016 Yukon Xl front feel rigid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IowaEmt1991

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Been quite a while since i have posted but lookin for a little help or past experience here. My wife has a 16 XL with the 22" wheels. I have noticed over the last couple weeks the truck has been riding very poorly. The front is almost getting to a point where it feels rigid. I can barely get any movement when I push on the truck, and over bumps, such as coming out of my garage it is obviously stiff, driving down any rough roads is quite the experience. This truck has the normal front struts with the air ride in the rear, no magnaride. Now I did some searching and found a few cases where people were complaining of the front struts "locking up" I noticed if I jack the truck up and then put it back down it rides better again for a day or so. I am pretty sure it is time for new front struts and that brings me to my next question. I would prefer just a drop in complete strut but everything I find says without 22" wheels. I have however found a few threads where people put these on with 22s and have no problems. Anyone have any insight or part number suggestions? Looking at the Monroe 139104. Thanks!

Pivot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried a set of the Monroe QuickStruts, I don’t remember offhand if it was that specific model, but I hated them. They were on maybe a week. Floatiest ride and felt like the truck was all over the place. Others have had different experiences. But that wasn’t your question….. they did fit and function totally fine with the oem 22s.

I switched out to a much beefier Bilstein setup all around and those work fine with the 22s as well. And a much better ride.

Hope this helps. Good fortune on the project.

OP
OP
I

IowaEmt1991

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! That has been the general theme of the Monroe’s I’ve found, most don’t like them. Are the acdelco complete assembly’s worth anything? I’m not opposed to just getting struts, but would like the whole thing if possible.

Pivot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not familiar with the ride quality of the Delcos. You can get the Bilsteins and others as a complete assembly. I got them assembled and they dropped right in. ShockSurplus sells them and other options

mb1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go ACDelco over Monroe. The 22” wheel thing is a valving difference in the dampener to make the performance pair to the wheel weight. Not a big deal, same thing as someone putting 22” wheels on a Tahoe that was originally spec’d with 20’s. Most wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.

Personally I would go with the correct ACDelco dampener for your vehicle (re-use top hat, spring, etc) or go with Bilstein and do the same.

OP
OP
I

IowaEmt1991

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would go ACDelco over Monroe. The 22” wheel thing is a valving difference in the dampener to make the performance pair to the wheel weight. Not a big deal, same thing as someone putting 22” wheels on a Tahoe that was originally spec’d with 20’s. Most wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.

Personally I would go with the correct ACDelco dampener for your vehicle (re-use top hat, spring, etc) or go with Bilstein and do the same.
I found the correct OE struts based on the rpo card. I’ll probably just go with those.

OP
OP
I

IowaEmt1991

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not familiar with the ride quality of the Delcos. You can get the Bilsteins and others as a complete assembly. I got them assembled and they dropped right in. ShockSurplus sells them and other options
Which bilsteins did you go with? I see there is a few options

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I recommend going with GM original replacement parts, and you won't be disappointed.

Pivot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which bilsteins did you go with? I see there is a few options
6112 up front and 5100 rear. Admittedly the 6112 is a bit overkill for purely street driving. Could probably have done 5100 all around but I love the setup

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just a note here: if you have oem air ride in the back then the front shocks are not "just regular shocks" they will be electronically dampened, you can replace them with regular shocks but you will need resistors to trick the stabiltrac into thinking everything is normal otherwise you will get a "service stabiltrac" or service ride control, etc message.
sounds like you are replacing them with oem which resolves that issue, if you buy them from rockauto they will come with a lifetime warranty. typical lifespan is around 85k, the newer trucks are seeing the issue often before then

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645