2016 Yukon XL Denali Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mikef

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 2015.5 Yukon XL Denali. Had a problem with the transmission so GMC did a exchange and now I have a 2016 Yukon XL Denali. Both vehicles had a high pitch squeak/noise. It is driving me crazy. It is not loud. I can barely hear it but it is just loud enough to bug me. I think it is when I hit small bumps or vibrations but I am not 100% sure. I notice it at lower speeds driving around the city. It doesn't seem to be coming from the engine area. Maybe from the front seats back. Any ideas? Anybody else have something similar?

scott6760

Reaction score
Does your Denali have a radio?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

Mikef

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. It has a radio and navigation system.

Robert Frank

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I notice the same squeak and find it to happen when the engine shifts from V4 to V8. My dealer tells me the noise is coming from the exhaust system which has a valve to control back pressure. Next oil change they will change out the valve.

OP
OP
M

Mikef

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. I read here about a squeak from the exhaust butterfly valve. I don't think my noise is only when it switches from v4 to v8 mode. I think it is more constant. But I will pay better attention today when I drive it.

scott6760

Reaction score
Yes. It has a radio and navigation system.

Sorry, I guess my sarcasm didn't come through. My point was to just turn the radio on and the noise would go away.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think I ever drive in silence.

OP
OP
M

Mikef

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I guess my sarcasm didn't come through. My point was to just turn the radio on and the noise would go away.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think I ever drive in silence.

Lol. Yeah. I thought it was. But I didn't want to seem rude in case you were serious. I was sitting here like WTF? A radio.... Really?

But yeah I turn it up but most of the time I have passengers and we talk. That's when it bugs me most.

OP
OP
M

Mikef

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it does the noise in both v4 and v8 mode. It seems to be between 5 to 35mph. It sounds like glass rubbing up against rubber if you can picture that in your head.

Since it doesn't seem like anyone else is having the same noise I might have to take my chances at the dealer. It just seemed weird that my 2015 and 2016 both had the exact same noise.

hubbbbbb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have similar noise on 16 Escalade esv.
Maybe the noise came from rear passenger side floor ( I think around Exhaust ).
It sounds like somebody blowing empty glass bottle. Only I can hear low speed with very quiet condition.
I don't really care because I think escalade is so quiet It makes I can hear some never heard exhaust noise.
but I still wonder what make the noise.. I think louder when V4 mode.

Juicemac

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have definitely heard the same noise in a 2016 Denali that I am looking at. Very faint and very high pitch. Definitely not the exhaust in my opinion because it does it at idle and slow speed. Almost sounded like under the dash on driver's side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz

Latest posts