2016 Tahoe 5.3 to 6.2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
300Blackout

300Blackout

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The fuel rails need to be swapped unless your crate 6.2 comes with them. When the Gev V 5.3 (L83) is built to make more than 500 horses, all the tuners and build shops say you need fuel rails off a 6.2.

As others have stated, VVT, AFM, DOD are part of the Gen V LT motors both 5.3 & 6.2. You can turn them off with a tune. The 6.2 should bolt right up to a 6L80. On the new trans you need to invert the thermostatic valve so it doesn't restrict the fluid flow. It will keep the trans running cooler and greatly increase trans life. Also you want to change that trans fluid and filter every 20-30k
OK thanks. Now how do i get this tuned? Is there another way besides accessing TIS /GDS2 ? I used to have access via TIS/GDS2 a year ago but i no longer work for fleet. i am willing to buy software/equipment to do this because i plan to work on my 2001 Silverado and some other swaps later in the future. Or would it just be easier just to buy an aftermarket ECM system like Holley? Thanks bro

Jeff_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK thanks. Now how do i get this tuned? Is there another way besides accessing TIS /GDS2 ? I used to have access via TIS/GDS2 a year ago but i no longer work for fleet. i am willing to buy software/equipment to do this because i plan to work on my 2001 Silverado and some other swaps later in the future. Or would it just be easier just to buy an aftermarket ECM system like Holley? Thanks bro
Get a custom tune. Can be done remotely. I suggest Ryne Cunningham for anything Chevy based. https://brcraceworks.com/

m1949

LS364/450
Reaction score
I have A 2016 Tahoe I got it a few months ago with over 200K miles that came with trans problems. Still drives everyday. I got a newly rebuilt 4L80 that i havent installed yet
and now #6cyl on the 5.3 is sucking coolant. Im about to buy a new crate 5.3 #12683694($4000) BUT would really want a 6.2 instead . Im looking for a new crate motor but dont know exactly what would be direct bolt on(i dont mind having to swap oil sump and PCM reflash), i just dont want to have to do so much mods or wirings. There is #19420382 which is a gen4 but not sure if that would work. This is for a daily driver. Any help is appreciated( as i wanna put in an engine order soon lol). I did check the other post with a similar swap but am not sure if the same will apply because of my Tahoe's year and i am looking to swap for a crate motor.

about myself: auto/bus mechanic over 20 years. i did a 01' LS1 motor with a D1SC ProCharger into my 67RS Camaro , but that was in 2007 and since then i dont have knowledge of gen 3 or 4 LS engines and stuff needed to do a swap.

thanks in advance guys, glad i stumbled on this forum

Since your thinking of doing a swap, you might take a look at the GM 6.0L LS364/450HP performance engine. It's an iron block LQ9 but withLS3 rectangular heads and a mild cam from the gen C5 Corvettes. Before starting the build I discovered the difference in core charge makes the LS364 less costly (no core cost) than the 6.0 longblock ($2500 core cost). In my case, I promised the take out engine to the guy who is doing the swap as partial payment. Not sure which intake the Tahoe 5.3 uses. You may need to change it out to GM 12597600 for the higher pressure injectors the engine needs. This intake has been around for many years.