2016 Tahoe 5.3 to 6.2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

300Blackout

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have A 2016 Tahoe I got it a few months ago with over 200K miles that came with trans problems. Still drives everyday. I got a newly rebuilt 4L80 that i havent installed yet
and now #6cyl on the 5.3 is sucking coolant. Im about to buy a new crate 5.3 #12683694($4000) BUT would really want a 6.2 instead . Im looking for a new crate motor but dont know exactly what would be direct bolt on(i dont mind having to swap oil sump and PCM reflash), i just dont want to have to do so much mods or wirings. There is #19420382 which is a gen4 but not sure if that would work. This is for a daily driver. Any help is appreciated( as i wanna put in an engine order soon lol). I did check the other post with a similar swap but am not sure if the same will apply because of my Tahoe's year and i am looking to swap for a crate motor.

about myself: auto/bus mechanic over 20 years. i did a 01' LS1 motor with a D1SC ProCharger into my 67RS Camaro , but that was in 2007 and since then i dont have knowledge of gen 3 or 4 LS engines and stuff needed to do a swap.

thanks in advance guys, glad i stumbled on this forum

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you really mean you want to replace your 6 (or is it 8) speed transmission with a 4 speed?

At least in my truck's generation dropping in a 6.2 in place of a 5.3 is a direct bolt in then a retune.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

Additional folks with direct knowledge of this motor swap will chime in. The 6.2 motor is a beast, and it is a lot of fun to drive.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have A 2016 Tahoe I got it a few months ago with over 200K miles that came with trans problems. Still drives everyday. I got a newly rebuilt 4L80 that i havent installed yet
and now #6cyl on the 5.3 is sucking coolant. Im about to buy a new crate 5.3 #12683694($4000) BUT would really want a 6.2 instead . Im looking for a new crate motor but dont know exactly what would be direct bolt on(i dont mind having to swap oil sump and PCM reflash), i just dont want to have to do so much mods or wirings. There is #19420382 which is a gen4 but not sure if that would work. This is for a daily driver. Any help is appreciated( as i wanna put in an engine order soon lol). I did check the other post with a similar swap but am not sure if the same will apply because of my Tahoe's year and i am looking to swap for a crate motor.

about myself: auto/bus mechanic over 20 years. i did a 01' LS1 motor with a D1SC ProCharger into my 67RS Camaro , but that was in 2007 and since then i dont have knowledge of gen 3 or 4 LS engines and stuff needed to do a swap.

thanks in advance guys, glad i stumbled on this forum

Welcome,

First, what exactly is wrong with the 6L80 in your Tahoe? Switching to a 4L80 is not a direct swap. As for the motors, you want a Gen V LT motor, the L86. Your Tahoe came with a 9.5" 12-Bolt rear axle and the 6.2s got the 9.76" 12-bolt axle, so that's something to think about. If E85 is nearby, those 5.3s make 380 horses and over 400 ft lbs of torque on it.

THarber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stick with the 6l80 and you will be light years ahead. The 6.2 will have VVT which the 5.3 did not, so plan for that be either eliminating it via cam, lifter and spring change or via the tune. You could also opt for a plug and play crate and transmission with ECM if the money doesn't scare you.

OP
OP
300Blackout

300Blackout

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry guys I made a mistake. I do have the 6L80 and the rebuilt replacement is a same 6L80. The trans is already making internal noises and shifting surges 3-4 .

OP
OP
300Blackout

300Blackout

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do you really mean you want to replace your 6 (or is it 8) speed transmission with a 4 speed?

At least in my truck's generation dropping in a 6.2 in place of a 5.3 is a direct bolt in then a retune.

So if i swapped to a L86 all i need is just a retune? I dont have to swap cam to delete the VVT?

THarber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can just leave it unplugged and adjust the tune to delete it, or swap the cam gear and chain. Here's a great link to read thru:

Tim

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if i swapped to a L86 all i need is just a retune? I dont have to swap cam to delete the VVT?
All Gen Vs have VVT, the L83 5.3 and L86 6.2, deletion not necessary. I would imagine that the fuel pumps are different but am not as familiar with Gen V as I am with the earlier motors.

As mentioned earlier, your original transmission probably just needs its solenoids rebuilt. Swapping in the replacement will require programming, or you could swap your rebuilt original TECHM into the rebuilt one and just do the Adapts (via scan tool), which has to be done either way on both.

"Flip the pill" on whichever 6L80 you use, the transmission will last longer.

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fuel rails need to be swapped unless your crate 6.2 comes with them. When the Gev V 5.3 (L83) is built to make more than 500 horses, all the tuners and build shops say you need fuel rails off a 6.2.

As others have stated, VVT, AFM, DOD are part of the Gen V LT motors both 5.3 & 6.2. You can turn them off with a tune. The 6.2 should bolt right up to a 6L80. On the new trans you need to invert the thermostatic valve so it doesn't restrict the fluid flow. It will keep the trans running cooler and greatly increase trans life. Also you want to change that trans fluid and filter every 20-30k

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01