2016 Denali shudder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Budcat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey folks. In the last week my 2016 Denali with 26,000 miles started this odd shudder effect. Just driving down the highway around 40mph in traffic and it feels like we're going over a set of rumble strips. It seems to happen randomly; I cant seem to force it to happen. Today it wasn't doing the shudder, but it sure felt like the transmission was slipping or something.

Any ideas what is wrong? Is this something fatal and I need to get it fixed immediately or can I live with it for a couple of weeks?

I just had it at the dealer last week because the AC compressor froze and tore up/broke the belt. Took it in on Saturday, they weren't able to get it fixed until Wednesday. I assume that the Ac compressor being replaced had nothing to do with this new transmission issue, but it is odd that it stated just a day after we got it back from the dealer. Only other service that was done last week was to plug a hole in the tire from a nail I captured on the way to the dealer.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There should be a bulletin but this is the way it usually goes, reprogram, change fluid, replace converter, then replace transmission. Usually the reprogram and fluid change takes care of the issue.

Nokturnal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Transmission shudder at lower RPMs in every gear when just cruising light throttle. Mine didn’t start till about 120k but transmission flush and filter change solved the issue. $600 at the GM dealer. But no more rumble strips!

Reaction score
Ive had my 17 denali for 2 weeks and just started noticing this shudder. Theres many topics on it but no definitive path on what to do about it. Ive never had a vehicle still under factory warranty so I dont know how or if to use that. Im also actually still under a 30 day dealer warranty. Sounds like its something that is hard to recreate so I can imagine taking it to the dealer and they saying nothing is wrong with it. But if its that common and they know the fix then I should just be able to go and say this is whats wrong with it, you know that is a common problem with these, so they just fix it. Some say reprogram and flush and change torque converter, some say just torque converter and reprogram, one guy here said a flush and filter change fixed his, so I dont even know where to start. I have 28k miles and plan to keep this for 70k miles or so and if its an issue then i want it taken care of while its under warranty. I want to know what I have to do to fix this, hear others experiences in the same situation, is there something you reference or quote when telling the service dept about this problem. Otherwise I just think they will take it for who knows how long and come up with nothing.

Im also worried there isnt really a problem there. Maybe its just in V4 and when i give it gas its weak and shudders a little before getting to V8. Some report its very bad and huge RPM shifts. I wouldnt say mine is real bad, just noticed a little hesitation a few times. Otherwise its very strong and no clunking or tranny noises. So maybe Im overreacting and its normal operating situations.

Last edited:

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive had my 17 denali for 2 weeks and just started noticing this shudder. Theres many topics on it but no definitive path on what to do about it. Ive never had a vehicle still under factory warranty so I dont know how or if to use that. Im also actually still under a 30 day dealer warranty. Sounds like its something that is hard to recreate so I can imagine taking it to the dealer and they saying nothing is wrong with it. But if its that common and they know the fix then I should just be able to go and say this is whats wrong with it, you know that is a common problem with these, so they just fix it. Some say reprogram and flush and change torque converter, some say just torque converter and reprogram, one guy here said a flush and filter change fixed his, so I dont even know where to start. I have 28k miles and plan to keep this for 70k miles or so and if its an issue then i want it taken care of while its under warranty. I want to know what I have to do to fix this, hear others experiences in the same situation, is there something you reference or quote when telling the service dept about this problem. Otherwise I just think they will take it for who knows how long and come up with nothing.

Im also worried there isnt really a problem there. Maybe its just in V4 and when i give it gas its weak and shudders a little before getting to V8. Some report its very bad and huge RPM shifts. I wouldnt say mine is real bad, just noticed a little hesitation a few times. Otherwise its very strong and no clunking or tranny noises. So maybe Im overreacting and its normal operating situations.

I would take it in to the dealer, at least to get it documented.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take someone at the Dealers service department for a ride and show them and let them feel exactly what you are talking about. Its not that no one knows exactly what the problem is it is protocol set by GM engineers to the Dealers which is usually in the order which I stated above, They have to start some where and what works for one may not work for others. You can ask for real life experience but if it was me I would take it to the Dealer ASAP and have them start working on it. A lot of times after getting every ones real life opinions you will be more confused than when you started and who is to say what your exact problem is without having it diagnosed or starting at the beginning to have it repaired.

Reaction score
I will do that thank you.

Today was the first time I experienced the rumble strips. Cruising at 45mph light steady foot on the gas every few seconds I'd feel a strong rumble strips feeling and sound. Not good and not normal. I'll have to take it to a dealer. Sounds like if it's that common o should just be able to tell them the symptoms and they know already what's wrong. Hope that's the case.

It is still under a 30 day warranty from CarMax, which covers anything, but I doubt they will be able to diagnose and fix the problem like a GMC dealership will. Think I'll just skip the CarMax warranty.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Took my 17 denali in yesterday to the GM dealership describing the rumble strips and jerky acceleration betweeen 1200-2000rpm. I will get it back today. They found a service bulletin to flush the tranny fluid and replace the filter. They say the conditions are greatly reduced. LOL i guess that means it is not gone. They say I have to drive it 500 miles before they can do the next step of fixing it if necessary. So thats my next step.

BigBadBri

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey folks. In the last week my 2016 Denali with 26,000 miles started this odd shudder effect. Just driving down the highway around 40mph in traffic and it feels like we're going over a set of rumble strips. It seems to happen randomly; I cant seem to force it to happen. Today it wasn't doing the shudder, but it sure felt like the transmission was slipping or something.

Any ideas what is wrong? Is this something fatal and I need to get it fixed immediately or can I live with it for a couple of weeks?

I just had it at the dealer last week because the AC compressor froze and tore up/broke the belt. Took it in on Saturday, they weren't able to get it fixed until Wednesday. I assume that the Ac compressor being replaced had nothing to do with this new transmission issue, but it is odd that it stated just a day after we got it back from the dealer. Only other service that was done last week was to plug a hole in the tire from a nail I captured on the way to the dealer.
Had this exact issue

I have this exact issue as well. Torque converter shudder. I’ve had this 2016 Yukon Xl Denali with 42000 mile on it since October and it was doing it very infrequently when I bought it. Late last week the check engine light went on finally and threw a P0700 sensor code for the trans temp sensor and it started doing the shudder thing pretty consistently. It’s in the dealer now and they said there is a viscosity issue with the original trans fluid and it needs a flush and filter. They are waiting on the sensor (on back order) to do the work but I’ll keep you posted when I get it back if my shudder issue is truely fixed. I’ll. Be picking it up and heading on vacation the next day so it’s bound to not be fixed right and I’ll be at a dealer out of town to get repaired.... they will probably not honor the extended warranty this just my prediction and bets? ...hope for the best, plan for ther worst!

greenhornet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hope to get my 2015 Tahoe LS back today ,it's been in the shop for a month due to back ordered parts from GM .The trans is being rebuilt. There rental 2019 GMC 1/2 ton is nice but Tahoe is more comfortable, all though the truck rides smoother than Tahoe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne