2015 Tahoe LTZ front shock/strut replacement options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

razor488

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are those a 3rd party brand shock? I found the OEM online for $350 after the dealership charged me $650. I wonder if there is any way I can call in after the fact and ask them to price match?

atrex21

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Are those a 3rd party brand shock? I found the OEM online for $350 after the dealership charged me $650. I wonder if there is any way I can call in after the fact and ask them to price match?
They won’t do a thing for you except to tell you to call GM,who also won’t do a thing for you.

I got an OEM strut online for under $300 with shipping. Then I had the dealer install and align it. Still a big waste of money.

jeffisgreat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ouch.

That is one upside of having the SLT rather than the Denali. I can get Bilstein shocks and do them myself pretty easily. Fronts would cost me about $150 total.

I am not planning on throwing away the OEM shocks until 80K to 100K miles. We will see if they last that long. So far at 67K, so good.
I also have the SLT. 2017 just shy of 50k miles. I'm looking for a replacement shocks for the rear end replacement struts for the front. The OEM is just not cutting it and is giving a rough ride. All I can find for this thing is Bilstein and ranchos. What were the Bilstein do you went with and did you use the original coils or were you able to find a mounted kit? any recommendations on replacement for either front or rear? I'd even love to get a little more clearance if possible. I have 22in dub rims on some Nitto Crosstek tires.

15554613449018441053858129638062.jpg

jeffisgreat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m currently in the same boat (63k miles, fronts leaking bad, $1.8k to fix) and started my own thread on the best options. After getting feedback and doing research, I’ve narrowed it down to Bilstein 5100s I think. $380 for parts+ labor.

Did you end up installing the 5100s?

I have the SLT. 2017 just shy of 50k miles. I'm looking for a replacement shocks for the rear and replacement struts for the front. The OEM is just not cutting it and is giving a rough ride. All I can find for this thing is Bilstein and Ranchos. Are you doing the front as well? Any recommendations on replacement for the front or installing the rear? I'd even love to get a little more clearance if possible. I have 22in dub rims on some Nitto Crosstek tires.

216587-5b7b5d571f4b06491bf22619321ae6f1.jpg

G00se

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you end up installing the 5100s?

I have the SLT. 2017 just shy of 50k miles. I'm looking for a replacement shocks for the rear and replacement struts for the front. The OEM is just not cutting it and is giving a rough ride. All I can find for this thing is Bilstein and Ranchos. Are you doing the front as well? Any recommendations on replacement for the front or installing the rear? I'd even love to get a little more clearance if possible. I have 22in dub rims on some Nitto Crosstek tires.

View attachment 221150

I decided to stick with OEM b/c 1) my numbers were about $150 difference b/n OEM and Bilstein 2)Bilstein also will not recommend installation on MRC equipped Yukon/Yukon XLs 3) And I didn't want to chance it, don't know for sure anyone has done MRC delete with 5100s. It rode like a dump truck before, now just rides like a truck. I think it would be a bit smoother without the spacer and tires. Hope that helps.

gsd1019

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 15’ ltz just had both magnaride struts replaced at 69,000 miles under warranty. The dealer sold me an extended warranty from portfolio. At first they (portfolio) did not want to cover the $1800 repair because they swore my truck had shocks in the front and not struts. But after looking up the gm part number and seeing they were called struts they really had no choice.

WJK1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just hit 40,000 miles on my 2015. Fronts just started leaking. Getting very stiff ride and bump steer. I filed complaint at NHTSA. Seems like a safety issue and I cannot believe the job isn’t covered by GM in some way. I have never had suspension parts fail so quickly making the vehicle so uncomfortable to drive. And that nearly every other Escalade, Denali, and Chevy and GMC trucks are all experiencing it. $1800 is ridiculous. I fortunately have a summer car so I’ve parked the Tahoe for now. Going to see what can be done by GM.

SuperOldSchool

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Similar situation for me. 75k , 3/4 struts failed. Extended warranty covers these thank goodness. It just paid for itself.

Dealer will not replace 4th rear strut, though they admit it should be done in pairs. At least I have 25k left on warranty for last one to fail....

Love the Yukon, but lots of issues since I bought it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2