2015 Suburban Tick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Toddzaracki

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New to me 2015 suburban with around 150,000 miles, ticking noise develops shortly after startup, no misfires but I do have a check engine light on with rich codes for both banks (assuming Hp fuel pump) what are the odds that the fuel pump is also making the tick/tapping noise ? Doesn’t seem to be coming from any accessories on front of engine.

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d start with the obvious things like exhaust leak, or arcing of the ignition.

The latter can be done by getting a good look at the plug wires in the dark. I like to wait until dark, no lights around and bring the hood down to about a one foot gap and get a peek under there looking for arcs.

Eliminate the valve train being culprit. I like to use a cheap mechanic stethoscope from Harbor Freight to get a good listen around the engine bay.

Then I’d look into checking the injectors if the above checks are without results.

OP
OP
T

Toddzaracki

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Seems to be loudest when I have a stethoscope against the head on cylinder 2. Very light ting or tapping noise. What’s best way to access injectors on these direct injection engines ? Or am I more than likely looking at a failing lifter ? It seems to go away with Rpms , but that may also be because I cannot hear it over the other engine noise. I will pull plugs tomorrow and check them. To my knowledge they haven’t been done and I am well over the 95000 mile recommendation.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could try running a quart of ATF in the motor for 500 miles or so. If you are having something act up due to age, stickiness, carbon buildup, etc this usually helps to clean things up. I use it on both of my Denalis with the 6.2L. 2017 had a slight tick noise that showed up after a heat soak about 15k miles ago. I dumped in ATF, ran it, and changed the oil - no more noise. Again, I think I caught it immediately, probably a little varnished up from age (110k).

It's not a fix all magic potion, but it seems to work well for LS engines that get some varnish buildup. It also works well adding 1/2 quart to a full tank of gas to clean injectors. Done this numerous times over the years. Again, just a cheap idea to see if it yields any results.

OP
OP
T

Toddzaracki

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah I changed oil about a week ago so I may run a quart of atf through it when I get closer to 3000 miles. In the meantime I may try adding some Lucas additive

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rislone makes a treatment for noisy lifters as well. I’m not at the house at the moment to take a pic in my shop. I’ve used it in a couple of my classics.

That Rislone additive comes in the yellow bottle IIRC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts