2015 PPV transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clc98

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just picked up a 2015 PPV Tahoe here a few weeks ago. 147k on the clock ex highway patrol. Overall, very well maintained and clean truck. Had no issues to concern when I brought it home. Well yesterday the transmission started slipping/searching and shuddering. Kinda doing the delay to take off, delay to get into gear from a stop when shifting form drive to reverse, and you can feel it slip when going down the road with the occasional shudder. Some say to do the torque converter, some say to get a whole new reman unit from gm, others say just rebuild it. What’s my best option here? Has gm come up with an actual fix for this besides just tossing a reman or new trans in it? And why hasn’t there been a recall for these? My stepdad’s 16 Silverado 1500 had the same issue, both vehicles are 6 speeds and they replaced his converter and it’s starting to happen again

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
It’s a bitter pill, but the most likely solution to 147k of -let’s be honest here- abuse is a new or rebuild.

Yes, you may find a bandaid to kick the can on down the road but it’s not likely and most shops won’t even touch a partial repair on a high mileage trans.

A GM reman is going to have the best warranty. Cheaper options are out there.

OP
OP
C

clc98

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Every other ex highway patrol vehicle I had was in great mechanical shape. This one is no exception. I just know these generation trans are known for issues and that’s the only problem I’ve had with this thing. It still drives, just a hesitant or intermittent issue. The truck has 4 recalls open so I’m wondering if I can’t work some deal with the local dealer and get a new trans for a decent price and not 5k

OP
OP
C

clc98

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Time for a little update. Over the weekend I checked the trans fluid level just cause and it was a little low. So I added half a quart and it was good. The slipping seemed to become intermittent, and aside from some firm up shifts and down shifts it seemed okay. Still not normal but better than it was. On the way home from work today it threw a check engine light, mind you I hadn’t driven but maybe 50 miles since I added the fluid. Checked the trans temp and it was at 210. Got home and checked the codes, P0700 TCM code and P0741 Torque Converter code. Checked the fluid level again and there was nothing on the dipstick. Added the rest of the quart I had and I’ll check again tomorrow when I have more light and can get under this thing. So far there are no leaks that I know of, or at least nothing that leaks and leaves drops on the ground. I’m going to trace the trans lines to the trans cooler. If there are no trans fluid leaks where would the fluid be going? I know these things don’t just burn fluid off like that, even though I know the fluid that’s in there is somewhat dark and has a slight burnt smell to it. With that considered I didn’t think it would be wise to do a full fluid flush. I’d like to figure out what the real issue here is, it’s got 4 recalls and when it goes to the dealer for those I’d like to have the trans issues taken care of also but don’t want it sitting there for weeks while they throw parts at it