2014 yukon denali- speedometer not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

muncie21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out of the blue, the speedometer on my 2014 Yukon XL Denali quit working. Along with this the odometer, trip and digital speed display also quick functioning. My research has me looking into the speed sensor mounted on the transmission or the gauge cluster.

Any suggestions on how to narrow down these two culprits (or if there's a third one, aside from wiring) that I should look in to? My inclination is to replace the speed sensors as it's cheap and quick. The gauge cluster, not so much....

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go after speed sensor first as well. But, before doing so, does it shift and drive fine? If shifting is all wonky, then I'd lean towards sensor. I would think that feedback is necessary for the TCM to do its job.

You could try unplugging it and taking a test drive. That may help you rule put that part.

OP
OP
M

muncie21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go after speed sensor first as well. But, before doing so, does it shift and drive fine? If shifting is all wonky, then I'd lean towards sensor. I would think that feedback is necessary for the TCM to do its job.

You could try unplugging it and taking a test drive. That may help you rule put that part.
It drives OK. No issues and no codes.

Any idea where the VSS is on these AWD vehicles? From what I've read the sensor should be on the transfer case behind behind the transmission. However, I wasn't able to find any connections remotely resembling the 2-pin connector for the VSS.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
like fless mentioned a mediocre scan tool would tell you for sure if it is the vss or cluster gone goofy

OP
OP
M

muncie21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More info on original issue and current status-

I was at Lowes picking up some mulch and left the truck running while we loaded the mulch. While driving away, I noticed the speedo wasn't working. When I set my DIC to read vehicle speed, nothing was registering there either. Tried shutting off the engine and restarting multiple times, no change.

Got home, unloaded the mulch and restarted the truck the next day. The speedo issue was gone. No idea what caused it or how it 'fixed' itself, but glad it did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tahoe Belgium