2014 PPV/Mo hoes mo problems (check engine light)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hoeston

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi!
Just bought a '14 Tahoe ppv 130k mi. w/a check engine light on for p0341 and p0340. It had a dead battery so I replaced 1(of 2) and it started after a few seconds cranking.
The crank time can be extended and at times its ~1sec but not longer than 3-5 seconds ever. No other noticeable symptoms.
Theres also a low voltage dtc for abs and the various interior flaws from being an undercover leftover pd vehicle.

Last year the p.d. brought it to the Chevy dealership for engine light for p0340/0341 supplying their own ecm to be swapped and reprogrammed. Chevy also put in a new(gm supplied) camshaft pos. sensor and harness.
Chevy states "internal engine fault after repairs. Will not read cam pulses from engine. Needs to have internal engine diagnosis"

On a separate line item Chevy stated
"internal crank sensor failure
130766 possible open circuit 1.00 checked for codes and found codes p0340 p0341 set. Per TAC(gm tech support) necessary to run new wires from ecm to camshaft position sensor jumper harness first."
That's when they stopped work and sold it a year later to me with less than 2 hundred additional miles driven.

I was INITIALLY UNAWARE of those service records and took it to a local shop who swapped the camshaft sensor claiming it had no signal. After replacing it still had the 2 codes, they said the signal was now out of spec, so they recommended to tear down timing cover and verify camshaft adjuster actuator before condemning the ecm(based on what they saw they thought ecm may have been replaced with an aftermarket causing the code, we weren't aware of the work done at Chevy at this point). But they shooed me away saying to get rid of it cause it may not fix it and be a crapshoot but overall they had thought the car was in good shape.

....The sevice desk writer at Chevy recommended I find a cheaper shop or to just get rid of it if it were him.
Any thoughts, ideas? Advice? Questions?

Attachments

• 20220510_163404.jpg
    20220510_163404.jpg
    511.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
based on the infor provided I might go with the gm tech diagnosed problem and may be look for a used engine harness on ebay/lkq, junkyard, etc and swap it out and see what happens, I'm not sure how much one would run but I think I have seen them online for $200-300 just going off memory

OP
OP
H

Hoeston

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I'd like to save her

I was leaning toward the internal engine diagnosis as the next step since both gm and the other shop recommended that. I spoke to a different shop today who seemed to think it's just about never the wiring harness in their experience and recommended against that step

OP
OP
H

Hoeston

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Got her fixed.
Wire harness was rubbing against a stud/bolt exposing the wires creating a short causing multiple codes and the reason it was auctioned. Repaired that section, moved the harness and reloomed. Only the 02 light code stayed on after.
Had a few o2 sensors to replace, the light went off and seems to drive well enough while mpg is still low averaging 16-17 city/highway. Maybe needing plugs/wires, clean maf, new pcv valve?
No codes at state inspection but I do need to have it scanned again since driving 1k+ miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout