2012 Yukon SLE hard start issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PEI Yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am new here and have a 2012 Yukon SLE with the 5.3 engine. Had to replace the original fuel pump due to a rusted out top. Pump was replaced with a NAPA pump in June this year. Several weeks later it developed a hard start. The engine cranks as normal but doesn't come to life until you turn off key and initiate a second crank cycle then it fires right up. Took it back and mechanic replaced the pump 8 days ago. It was working great then on this trip 350 kms from home. It started doing the same hard start and start on the second crank. Any help would be great

repairman54

Reaction score
Turn the key to run, wait 5 seconds, turn off and back to run only for a few seconds then try cranking it over. If it starts right away I would say pump is not holding line pressure.
If that's the case who knows what junk pump a shop installed. Parts quality vs cost/price/profit. Words are cheap....

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to TYF from Colorado!

Time (again) for proper diagnostics. I'd be returning to the same shop for warranty service. If it's the pump again you may want to spring for an OE or similar pump, if that's what's not been installed.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum, and others will chime in.

Do you have any bi-directional scanners available, like a Tech 2?

OP
OP
PEI Yukon

PEI Yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum, and others will chime in.

Do you have any bi-directional scanners available, like a Tech 2?
No scanners other than a basic obd but no codes are being set or at least the check engine light isn't on.