2012 Tahoe Driver side park lights, tag light blows fuse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

earnyourkeep101

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Front and rear park light and tag lights blow fuse. It used to be far and few between and now it's instant that it will blow the fuse. The previous model had a known issue with the tail light junction box which there are a few threads and a video or two relating to the issue. When I google the 2012 it tries to pull me in this direction also leading me to the dorman part number that is supposed to be located on the frame somewhere which I cannot find for the life of me where they show it. Could it be further forward or does it look completely different than what I am looking for. Not trying to be lazy I get dizzy laying on the ground.

this may or may not be the one I bought I just grabbed a link for ref.

CaptainAmerica1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’ve got an exposed wire contacting metal causing a dead short. Inspect your wiring for chaffed or cut or smashed insulation. Could be pinched between metal or rubbing against the body somewhere.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Start at the junction box and go from there.

OP
OP
E

earnyourkeep101

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You’ve got an exposed wire contacting metal causing a dead short. Inspect your wiring for chaffed or cut or smashed insulation. Could be pinched between metal or rubbing against the body somewhere.
It was the lift gate harness getting power from the glass actuator. Every time I lifted the gate the glass actuator would pop the glass and has always done this the 6 years I've had it. Until tonight I've never had the gate open when I put a fuse in. Put the fuse in and heard the actuator. I could squeeze the boot and the actuator would engage. Opened it up and couldn't find a short yet. Long day so I put it back together for now. Glass isn't popping and lights are working.

Attachments

• IMG_20211017_011421.jpg
    IMG_20211017_011421.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20211017_011429.jpg
    IMG_20211017_011429.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
E

earnyourkeep101

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It was the lift gate harness getting power from the glass actuator. Every time I lifted the gate the glass actuator would pop the glass and has always done this the 6 years I've had it. Until tonight I've never had the gate open when I put a fuse in. Put the fuse in and heard the actuator. I could squeeze the boot and the actuator would engage. Opened it up and couldn't find a short yet. Long day so I put it back together for now. Glass isn't popping and lights are working
That's what I'm looking for but for the life of me can't find. I've watched a few of these videos and they're in different places. I'll look again.
Never found one even after following the harness. Found the source. Details in other thread comment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlbertoTahoe2011