2011 Tahoe LTZ Burning Smell When Coming To A Stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the_behemoth11

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all and happy holidays! During the week I encountered an issue where the caliper would seize and would cause the truck to emit a burning smell. I got the brake pads replaced today and the dealer salvaged the caliper and claimed it was no longer seized up. Today when I drove it to work it began to make the burning smell again when coming to a complete stop. Does anyone know what the issue could be? I’m bring it back to the dealer tomorrow.

Thank you everyone!

OP
OP
the_behemoth11

the_behemoth11

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah, the caliper needs to be replaced and so should the brake line. I would do both sides. And if memory serves, when the caliper is replaced, so should the rotors and pads be replaced also.

A brake hose could be collapsing. It's too expensive to keep opening it up, so just replace it all.

Thank you very much for the help! I’ll have them check all the lines and look further into the caliper since they only attempted to repair it. The pads and rotors were replaced this weekend with the brake service I originally had them do. I was hoping the brake fluid flush would’ve done the trick but I think it’s too late

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the help! I’ll have them check all the lines and look further into the caliper since they only attempted to repair it. The pads and rotors were replaced this weekend with the brake service I originally had them do. I was hoping the brake fluid flush would’ve done the trick but I think it’s too late

The caliper piston may have a groove worn into it causing it to hang, could be dirt or a bad o-ring. Make sure it's done soon so that the new caliper wears in with the pads and rotors proper so you don't get vibrations and or premature wear. Even better if it's just the hose so they can be replaced without concern over wearing the brakes in right.

OP
OP
the_behemoth11

the_behemoth11

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The caliper piston may have a groove worn into it causing it to hang, could be dirt or a bad o-ring. Make sure it's done soon so that the new caliper wears in with the pads and rotors proper so you don't get vibrations and or premature wear. Even better if it's just the hose so they can be replaced without concern over wearing the brakes in right.

Hopefully it is just the hoses but yet again I’m concerned that the caliper isn’t performing to its full potential. I may have to get a caliper worst case scenario. Tomorrow when I bring it back to the stealership I’ll have an answer I hope!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
the_behemoth11

the_behemoth11

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update on the burning smell. Dealer tried to repair the caliper and still failed. Also discovered that the brake lines collapsed and the bleeder rotted. I had the caliper replaced and the new lines put in. No burning and no noises out of the ordinary.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Yeah, the caliper needs to be replaced and so should the brake line. I would do both sides. And if memory serves, when the caliper is replaced, so should the rotors and pads be replaced also.

A brake hose could be collapsing. It's too expensive to keep opening it up, so just replace it all.
Update on the burning smell. Dealer tried to repair the caliper and still failed. Also discovered that the brake lines collapsed and the bleeder rotted. I had the caliper replaced and the new lines put in. No burning and no noises out of the ordinary.

@swathdiver ftw:waytogo:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz