2011 PPV value?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BMac81

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I live in a small town that recently upgraded there Tahoe fleet of PPV’s. They have a white 2011 with 131000 miles that they are accepting sealed bids on and I’m planning on placing a bid. I’ve done a lot of looking around on eBay and such but I’m having a hard time placing a value on it. It’s very clean with no dings, dents or rust and the interior has been stripped of all the fun police stuff and the original rear door panels were installed and everything works as civilian. It has clean carpet and also includes a factory jump seat that still needs to be installed but has never been used. One small tear in the drivers seat and a 6” crack in the dash behind the instrument cluster. With the exception of the spot light, there was only one hole in the exterior l, which is on the center roof near the backs and it has been plugged. Also, the tires are completely shot. I could maybe get some pics later if that would help. They’re reserve is set at 6k but I’m having troubles trying to figure out a value and not overbidding. Thanks in advance for any help!

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score
Yep that’s a tough call. 10k might be on the high side but I bet it will buy it. If there bid system is set so you have a max bid of say 8 k and the next highest bid is 7k and they do it in hundred dollar increments you might be safe.

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in a small town that recently upgraded there Tahoe fleet of PPV’s. They have a white 2011 with 131000 miles that they are accepting sealed bids on and I’m planning on placing a bid. I’ve done a lot of looking around on eBay and such but I’m having a hard time placing a value on it. It’s very clean with no dings, dents or rust and the interior has been stripped of all the fun police stuff and the original rear door panels were installed and everything works as civilian. It has clean carpet and also includes a factory jump seat that still needs to be installed but has never been used. One small tear in the drivers seat and a 6” crack in the dash behind the instrument cluster. With the exception of the spot light, there was only one hole in the exterior l, which is on the center roof near the backs and it has been plugged. Also, the tires are completely shot. I could maybe get some pics later if that would help. They’re reserve is set at 6k but I’m having troubles trying to figure out a value and not overbidding. Thanks in advance for any help!

Well there are different ways to look at this;

- for one, 'typically' these vehicles are sold, through an auction, because the owner (government) doesn't want to deal with selling them, and they go in batches. Local government, small town, wanting to sell them themselves means they really 'need' the money/best price.

- As with any auction, you should bid thinking "what is it worth to me?, including risk etc. (they are "sold as is")" typically the best strategy is to accept that you won't 'win'... BUT if you do, in an auction or sealed bid, you were willing to pay more than all the others bidding on that vehicle :)

Not on cars, but I have done this before; walk up to them and offer "$8k cash", right now, telling them you'll only bid $7k in the sealed bid. (or $9k right now, $8k in an official bid, or something along those lines, and stick with it.)

It all depends on how you want to buy 'one'. I wanted "something bigger" for long hauls that could tow well, so a Tahoe or Suburban. I looked around and saw that there was not that many available (civilian), typically "high mileage" and still pricey. (A 5 yo Tahoe, with approx. 150k miles, for 35k is a little steep I think). It also depends on where you buy one, and what is available. There are not too many of them here in NM, there's more choice and lower prices in for example CO and TX, in my case.

People in general are a bit hesitant to buy a PPVs/SSVs, for obvious reasons BUT you might run into a good one. (I did, I found one with almost no mods, 'low miles' (approx 60k) low engine hours (miles divided by engine hours was a little over 30MpH), no accident reports etc, decent/good tires and the deal I made was that the 'dealer' threw in a 3 year, 50k miles warranty (engine, drive train, etc). In that case the price difference was just way too big to not buy my SSV and just buy a civilian. Also, most of the civilian ones I saw had that "family wear and tear", from kids, pets etc.

One thing that helped me was, I live in a government town and know one of the guys that maintains the 'govvy' Tahoes/Suburbans around here, had them check it out, and they gave me a thumbs up.

So far I am happy with my Tahoe SSV.

Best advice I'd have would be to be a little patient, there are enough of them out there, and you can get one for a good price or what you want to pay for it.

It's pretty much like buying any other car, other than checking for what mods happened and what the 'overall' condition of the vehicle is, which, it seems, you already looked at. Also, a decent used car is supposed to come with decent tires, brakes etc... take that into account $$$ wise. (also, for ball park figures, check Kelly Blue Book.. although I don't know if they even list SSVs/PPVs).

hope that helps,

Ron

OP
OP
B

BMac81

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys! I’m going to throw a number in the hat tomorrow and see what becomes of it. They open the bids next Tuesday so I’ll let everybody know the outcome then. Thanks!

OP
OP
B

BMac81

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Took it for a test drive today. Everything seems pretty tight and it runs and drives well. I saw the engine hours at 12,700 though! :( I knew it’d be quite a bit more than a civilian but that kind of took me by surprise with only 132,000 miles! Are most PPV’s single digit average mph’s??

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took it for a test drive today. Everything seems pretty tight and it runs and drives well. I saw the engine hours at 12,700 though! :( I knew it’d be quite a bit more than a civilian but that kind of took me by surprise with only 132,000 miles! Are most PPV’s single digit average mph’s??

It's just over 10Mph,

Cop cars sit still/idle A LOT, speed traps, that kind of thing.

Ron

jz57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is some reference about Tahoe PPV public auction in 2011 NY State government:

2007 Tahoe 2WD PPV, 14.5K miles (decommission policy: 3 years, 150K miles), everything was mechanically or electrically functional as supposed be; both driver/passenger side spot lights were removed; some scratches due to police decal removal; some rust spots under chassis (snow area), 2 sealed roof holes; driver seat back had torn on the lower right side (lumbar support) due to police pistol position; B-pillar plastic trim broken due to police gear wire removal; front driver side rubber floor worn out, need patch; decent tire tread; rear doors handles, rear windows switches and rear door locks were inoperative (PRO Code: 6B2, 6N5 and 6N6); NO spare tire or jack kit on some vehicles; no front passenger-side grab handle due to spot light; front push bar and rear cargo organizer were installed; low section of front driver-side door weather strip was torn; no center console.

NO test drive, only ran engine and changed gear shift level position with brake applying.

Every Tahoe was bided between $8000 - $9000.

The money spending did not stop there after I purchased my 2007 Tahoe PPV, the following parts were added on:

Evaporative solenoid valve 20995472 and Evap purge solenoid valve 12597567 due to P0459 code, grab handle 15916832, rear Passenger side door lock rod 15175417, rear Driver side door lock rod 15175416, Rear side door lock rod knob 15844616 to reverse PRO Code 6B2, 6N5 and 6N6, DIC Switch 15947841, front driver-side door weather strip, Weather Tech floor mates, jack kit, front towing hooks, and replaced both seized front brake calipers.

Sold following parts to recover some cost:

front push bar, passenger partition and cargo organizer.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast-cheap-right