2010 Yukon Denali Hybrid Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

avb5983

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
there are aftermarket mag rides shocks, but don't know how good they are. oem you'd have to purchase all 4 individually.

I don't see the z55 which is the air pump right? huh, didn't think they built them without that. might make it cheaper then.

there was a YouTube I watched a while ago that recommended an aftermarket mag ride shock, but you can't really trust a lot of those they just got sponsored deals to use their parts. probably gm parts direct would be your best bet for oem ride.

have you been under it to confirm they have been replaced with something to bypass it?

I do have an Air Compressor, I hear it click on. Not sure its doing anything anymore.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do have an Air Compressor, I hear it click on. Not sure its doing anything anymore.

ahh OK. I must be remembered the rpo codes wrong. I was thinking it would list the z55 and z95. I had that wrong in my head lol. don't mine me. just checked mine and I have z95 code only as well.

if it's kicking on after a start from sitting over night and then back off, I believe that's a good sign. it's running which is good, usually what happens is there's an air leak and they run so much they burn out or lock up. now how often it should run, I don't know. I've been meaning to toss mine on the lift and spray all the lines with soapy water to look for leaks, but haven't got a around to it yet. mine runs for a short time, maybe 10-20sec in the morning. don't know if it is running while driving or not. but I figured that's not long enough to be a bad sign.

so seeing as your pump is still working, you have airbags shocks at the least. I'm still not sure if you have aftermarket stiffer shocks for towing or not. if you just have older high mileage factory shocks that feel like they ride rough, I'll be really curious if replacing them helps it ride softer or not. I don't have anything but my 96 tahoe to compare the ride too and mine is much softer than that. but that's also a short wheel base 2 door with towing package and z71. it will toss you off the seat if you hit bumps to fast lol, so that's not comparable at all.

i think I get the general idea of how these mag shocks work, but no hands on experience with replacing them. please let us know your results. if replacing the oem z95 shocks with new ones make it ride nicer, I'd definitely put that on my list of things to do. I'm at 135k myself.

mb1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you might try on the more general suspension forum, since there's not a lot of traffic in here and very few of the hybrids used the mag ride. I think most were sold as tahoe's. they seemed to lean more towards economy, so gm went further with the weight savings and aero. no idea what kinda power it takes to run these mag shocks, but it does seem odd to put them on a half electric truck when shooting for best mileage.

also just from my experience, the rear shocks have a more noticeable affect on passengers felt stiffness than the fronts. I've spent a lot of time messing with adjustable coil overs on other cars. so maybe just toss two 2 new oem rear shocks on to see if you notice any real difference first? that is if you're doing this work yourself. if having a shop do it, yeah might be cheaper and easier to have it all done at the same time. I'm worry is you do it all and notice no real improvement.

other think I thought about was tires, you'd be amazed how much a new set of tires geared towards what you want from them can make or break a car's ride. so these denali's always list a 20 in chrome wheel as standard. my truck didn't have them when I got it, which seemed weird. so lots of searching I caught an * at the bottomed of an rpo sheet that showed a different set of wheels as a no cost option, the example giving was owner lives on a dirt or gravel road and wants a more compliant Tire, turns out I had that rpo code on mine. they are the same overall height tire but a 17in rim for more sidewall. if you're not happy with the ride after shocks, it might be a next step for you, something with a softer tire with more side wall. you can search for the same overall height, or just go different and adjust the speedo with hptuners.