2010 Denali-Intermittent voltage drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
So here’s what happened on our ~2.5hr. trek. The voltage started at ~14.2 and climbed to 15v. After 1/2hr of highway, it dropped back to 13v over a 5 min period. It stayed ther for 1-2hr, then jumped back up to 15v.
This ‘cycle’ repeated itself regularly for the duration of the trip; 1/2hr at each voltage, followed by a slow transition to the other state. All values are interpreted by the dash gauge, so are approximate.
That doesn’t seem normal to me. We’ve had it for 4 months or so, and admittedly have not had any longer trips, but I don’t remember it bobbling around like that before, albeit repeatedly. It seems like it’s always been just over 14v.

Welcome to RVC, as long as the battery, cables, **** fuse are in good condition and corrosion free you will learn to relax and simply accept it as normal. I failed to research the RVC system on this forum as a new member. We bought our new to us 08 yukon denali xl1500 and on the 250 mile drive home i was convinced the alternator was going bad. long story short, 2 alternators, added the "big 3" cable upgrade, new **** fuse, new RVC module, and still performs as yours does! My charge system is rock solid but i definitley wasted dollars, at least you are getting the info first! Im guessing but i think RVC was initiated in 08 and discontinued in 2012?

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to RVC, as long as the battery, cables, **** fuse are in good condition and corrosion free you will learn to relax and simply accept it as normal. I failed to research the RVC system on this forum as a new member. We bought our new to us 08 yukon denali xl1500 and on the 250 mile drive home i was convinced the alternator was going bad. long story short, 2 alternators, added the "big 3" cable upgrade, new **** fuse, new RVC module, and still performs as yours does! My charge system is rock solid but i definitley wasted dollars, at least you are getting the info first! Im guessing but i think RVC was initiated in 08 and discontinued in 2012?
Before that and my 19 has it also

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's for fuel savings it only saves like 5% or so

Unless you get a Extreme edition of a setup like the Mazda has it can save upto 10% that means like 2 extra MPG

also the float voltage should be 13.0

Last edited:

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perfectly normal. A bad battery or high resistance in the battery cable(s) (particularly the negative) can cause the voltage to fluctuate higher and lower than normal though and since you mentioned having to jump it off, I would highly suggest getting those checked.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perfectly normal. A bad battery or high resistance in the battery cable(s) (particularly the negative) can cause the voltage to fluctuate higher and lower than normal though and since you mentioned having to jump it off, I would highly suggest getting those checked.

He used his truck to jump his mother’s car but yes, perfectly normal operation of the rvc.
Volt gauge on these trucks (as we all know) have 3 numbers and they are deceiving to say the least which is why I recommend op take a meter to battery to see actual voltage of battery and alternator output.
I personally took a mental note of where my gauge sits at different times/operating conditions and if fluctuates that much off my my mental regular ill look into it.
With my dual battery setup and plow (uses lots of juice) hooked up over the last 5 or so winters ive yet to have any issues in my 13.
You know i just signed my batteries death warrants....

Floep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pick up for alternator charging is far removed from the alternator and battery so voltage readings for console voltmeter will fluctuate, not to worry you but only a guide for ridiculous conditions. We grew up with ammeters which are telling different story, and give the info you are looking for in your questions, but without thorough understanding of both ways of telling the story that seems wrong but is not.

Phil Van Beveren

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When we bought the 2010 Yukon Denali, I noticed that occasionally, the voltage gauge would drop to below 13v. It quit doing that over the first month or so, and for the last several months, its always read above 14v.
I had to jump my mothers car this weekend, and since then, the voltmeter reads +14v when we start, but then it drops to ~12.5v (By the meter). When it’s off, it reads 12.35v. We’re getting ready to drive a couple of hours home, so we’ll be rolling the dice a bit!
So, is this an alternator, voltage regulator, both, or should I look elsewhere??
Thx for the help!!
Mine does it too... I called a radio mechanic show one day and explained it to them and they said it is normal. The "smarts" in the alternator knows when there is a draw and starts charging (+14v) but when there is no need it stops charging. (+12.5v) They explained this takes a load off the engine thus conserving fuel. I've been running mine like this with no issues but agreed it is disconcerting.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unnecessary charging puts extra load and wear on the alternator and wear on the battery. There is such a thing as over-charging.

JEndsley

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was actually going to ask about this myself. Ours does the same thing, and battery has had to be charged or jumped a few times after sitting with doors open, radio on, etc, but not for extend periods of time, and I thought this was the problem. Not so much when sitting overnight. Might be time for a battery. The sticker on the old one says it was new sometime in 2018...