2009 Tahoe Hybrid Engine Knock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bayou Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
According to my wife, who is the primary driver of this vehicle, as she was driving our son to an appointment, they were both startled by a very audible knock, almost as if someone was knocking on a door. My son suggested that maybe a car door wasn't completely closed. Even though there was no message to that effect on the dash, my wife opened and closed the driver side door. She told me that the knocking briefly continued but did vanish soon thereafter and so far has not returned.
In reading the manual, the only reference to engine knocking was that it was a possibility if 87 octane fuel was used in the 6.3 liter engine. While the manual did not specifically mention the 6.0 liter engine found in my vehicle, according to the VIN # for my unit, it should be OK to run 87 octane fuel in this vehicle. In the meantime, as a precaution, I have asked my wife to use 89 octane every so often.
Has anyone else experienced this and what have they done about it, etc.
Thanks

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Paul,

I think the best way forward with these types of knocking sounds, because there are so many types, is to try and record it next time it happens so that someone either here or at the dealership might recognize it.

I used 87 octane in my hybrid all the time without knocking. The major engine sound I got was due to a bad throttle body but it doesn't sound like it's the same thing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1TxqaHPEdE

Not sure what it could be that closing the door would remedy.

But yeah, a sound clip would go a long way.

OP
OP
B

Bayou Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Soulsea,
Thanks. I'll try to record the noise/sound if I'm able. It's only happened once since we've owned the unit so it'll be hit or miss.

Rockytfox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the hybrid motor supposed to take 89 or 91 octane? I just bought mine a couple of weeks ago and I'm not sure. The gas cap doesn't say anything about using premium.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryan, the Hybrids don't have a recommended octane fuel, you can use any of the three octane levels you wish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900